The University of Louisville men’s tennis team fell 4-1 to visiting Dartmouth in the first match of a doubleheader Sunday afternoon at the Bass-Rudd Tennis Center. The Cardinals (3-3) will play host to Austin Peay in the second match of the day at 5:30 p.m.
Dartmouth (6-0) grabbed the doubles point with wins on courts 1 and 3 to start the match. At the No. 3 spot, Max Fliegner and Peter Conklin gave the Big Green an early advantage with a 6-2 win over Louisville’s senior Ciro Lampasas and junior George Hedley. The first point of match was decided on court one where David Hornefer and Charlie Broom upset Louisville’s sixth-ranked duo of junior Christopher Morin-Kougoucheff and sophomore Parker Wynn. Juniors Federico Gomez and Brandon Lancaster were leading Roko Glasnovic and Dan Martin 5-3 when the point was clinched.
In singles action, the Big Green pushed its lead to 2-0 on court five where Ciro Riccardi defeated Lampasas 6-1, 6-1. Horneffer beat Gomez 7-5, 6-3 at the No. 3 spot to make the score 3-0.
At the six-spot, Hedley’s 6-3, 6-4 decision over John Speicher put the Cardinals on the scoreboard, bringing the overall match score to 3-1. Dartmouth countered on court four with Fliegner’s 6-4, 6-4 victory over Lancaster for the 4-1 final.
At the No. 1 spot, Morin-Kougoucheff fell 6-4 to Bloom in the first set and was up 4-3 in a second-set tiebreaker while Rouanet picked up a 7-5 first set win over Martin and was tied 3-3 in the second set when the match was clinched.
Dartmouth 4, Louisville Men’s Tennis 1
Feb. 4, 2018 at Louisville, Ky.
(Bass-Rudd Tennis Center)
1. #75 Christopher Morin-Kougoucheff (LOU) vs. Charlie Broom (DART) 4-6, 6-6, unfinished
2. Nicolas Rouanet (LOU) vs. Dan Martin (DART) 7-5, 3-3, unfinished
3. David Horneffer (DART) def. Federico Gomez (LOU) 7-5, 6-3
4. Max Fliegner (DART) def. Brandon Lancaster (LOU) 6-4, 6-4
5. Ciro Riccardi (DART) def. Ciro Lampasas (LOU) 6-1, 6-1
6. George Hedley (LOU) def. John Speicher (DART) 6-3, 6-4
1. David Horneffer/Charlie Broom (DART) def. #6 Christopher Morin-Kougoucheff/Parker Wynn (LOU) 6-2
2. Federico Gomez/Brandon Lancaster (LOU) vs. Roko Glasnovic/Dan Martin (DART) 5-3, unfinished
3. Max Fliegner/Peter Conklin (DART) def. George Hedley/Ciro Lampasas (LOU) 6-2
Louisville Men’s Tennis 3-3
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1); Singles (5,3,6,4)
Assistant Sports Information Director
University of Louisville Athletics