Campbellsville was outscored 9-3 over the final 1:15 and dropped an 86-84 road game at Shawnee State. Photo by Jordan Alves.
Shawnee State University ended Thursday’s game on a 9-3 run and overcame a nine-point second half deficit to hand Campbellsville an 86-84 loss at the Waller Gymnasium.

The Tigers (19-8, 4-7 Mid-South Conference) had five of its seven players reach double figures with Hagen Tyler leading the way with 18 points and seven rebounds – both game highs. Frederick Moore guided the Bears (13-14, 3-8 MSC) with 18 points and five rebounds.

A back and forth battle broke out right from the start as neither team led by more than two points over the first five minutes of action. With an 11-10 lead, Shawnee State scored five-straight points to jump out to a 16-10 advantage with 12:01 left in the half.

Following the first media timeout, Campbellsville strung together a 9-2 run to grab a 19-18 edge. However, the lead did not last long as Matt Rhodes knocked down a three-pointer to give the Bears the lead back on the next possession. The Tigers countered with the next eight points to grab their largest lead of the first half, 27-21, forcing Shawnee State into a timeout with 8:52 left before the break.

The Bears found a run of their own to keep the seesaw battle alive. Shawnee State went on an 11-2 run to regain a three-point advantage. Over the final five minutes of the first half, the two teams traded scores and Campbellsville took a 43-42 edge heading into the second half.

In the first 20 minutes of action, the Tigers shot a scorching 56.7 percent from the floor and made four of their 10 three-pointers. Shawnee State was an even 50 percent from three and 46.9 percent overall. Campbellsville had a balanced scoring attack in the first half as all seven players that checked into the game tallied at least three points.

Shawnee State battle back at the start of the second half and jumped up to a 60-55 advantage. Trailing 62-57, the Tigers rattled off 10-straight points to flip the five-point deficit into a 67-62 lead at the first media timeout of the second half. The run extended to 12-0 before Frederick Moore recorded the Bears first points in nearly four minutes as Campbellsville led 69-64 with 10:43 left in regulation.

After the Tigers extended the lead their lead to nine points after a 16-4 spurt, Shawnee State reeled the game back within reach and trailed by just two, 79-77, with two minutes to play. Just 45 seconds later, the Bears scored four-straight points on back-to-back dunk from Moore and tied the scored at 81. Following a defensive stop, the Bears took their first lead since the 12:31 mark in the second half after a three-point play from Moore – who scored seven-straight points – gave Shawnee State an 84-81 lead with 24 seconds left in the game.

The Bear run was pushed to nine-straight points and a successful three-point heave from Tyler at the buzzer was not enough as Campbellsville dropped an 86-84 contest at Shawnee State.

To end the game, the Tigers shot 54.7 percent from the floor, but shot just 7-for-22 from three. Campbellsville’s 54.7 field goal percentage was its best in a conference game this season and just the second time in MSC play the Tigers surpassed the 50 percent benchmark. The Bears shot 50 percent overall and converted on 9-of-17 three pointers.

Campbellsville continues its final road trip of the season on Saturday afternoon a 4 p.m. ET at No. 3 University of Pikeville – who leads the MSC by a game – at the East Kentucky Expo Center.

by David Gerhart


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here