The Northern Kentucky University men’s soccer team returned to NKU Soccer Stadium and picked up a 3-0 win over Evansville on Tuesday evening in nonconference action. The Norse move to 5-1 on the year, while Evansville falls to 1-3-2.
“It was a complete team win against a very good Evansville side,” said NKU head coach Stu Riddle. “After the disappointing defeat on Saturday, it was exactly what we needed. I am very proud of the group to respond in this fashion ahead of our trip to Green Bay this weekend.”
NKU SCORING SUMMARY
- Connor Probert put NKU ahead 1-0 in the 24th minute. Alex Greive played a ball to the right side, and Probert dribbled into the box and slipped his shot past the Evansville goalkeeper.
- Alex Willis scored in the 50th minute to extend the lead to 2-0. Felix Komolong played a ball near the top of the box to Greive, and he flicked it over the top of the defense to Willis. Willis hit his shot between the Evansville goalkeeper’s legs to score.
- Calvin Murphy recorded a goal in the 84th minute. Tom Suchecki played a long cross to Greive, and he passed the ball across the box to Murphy, who tapped it in from close range.
BETWEEN THE POSTS
- Jim Barkei got the start in the net for NKU and earned the win. He exited the match in the 34th minute.
- Ed Harvey came into the contest to make his first collegiate appearance. He stopped two shots on the night.
FIRST HALF SUMMARY
- Evansville’s Ben Weber had an open look at goal in the 16th minute, but his attempt was high of the net.
- Rikard Lindqvist took a shot for NKU just outside the box in the 21st minute, but the attempt was just left of the frame.
- Probert gave the Norse a 1-0 lead in the 24th minute.
- In the 39th minute, the Purple Aces earned an indirect free kick inside the box. However, Adam Snow hit his shot high of the mark.
- Evansville nearly scored in the 41st minute. Trevor Baum took a shot for the Purple Aces, and his attempt rattled off the post and back into play. The Norse defense cleared the ball from danger.
- Each team had four shots and a corner kick in the period.
SECOND HALF SUMMARY
- Willis put the Norse ahead 2-0 in the 50th minute.
- Harvey made his first save of the contest in the 58th minute on a header attempt.
- In the 59th minute, Harvey made an excellent save on a shot from Evansville’s Logan Muck to prevent the Purple Aces from scoring.
- A shot by Probert almost gave him his second goal of the night, but it went just over the crossbar in the 82nd minute.
- Murphy scored the final goal for NKU to extend the lead to 3-0 in the 84th minute.
- Each team recorded five shots, and the Purple Aces had three corner kicks in the period.
- Greive recorded three assists in the contest. Cian McDonald was the last NKU player to have three assists in a match. He achieved the feat on Sept. 9, 2011, against Kentucky Wesleyan. Greive entered the match tied for seventh in the nation in assists.
- Each team took nine shots in the contest.
- The Purple Aces had four corners, while the Norse had one.
- Probert and Murphy each recorded their third goal of the season.
- Willis’ goal was his seventh of the year.
- It was the first shutout of the season for NKU.
- The Norse return to Horizon League play this weekend when they travel to Green Bay. Kickoff is scheduled for 8 p.m. ET, and the match will be broadcast live on ESPN+.
Northern Kentucky University
Athletic Communications Graduate Assistant