The Northern Kentucky University men’s soccer team fell to IUPUI on Sunday by a final score of 2-1 in overtime. NKU drops to 10-6 overall and 3-4 in the Horizon League. IUPUI moves to 4-10-3 and 4-3-1 in the league.
NKU SCORING SUMMARY
- Trailing 1-0, Connor Probert tied the match for NKU in the 71st minute. Probert took a corner kick, and it landed straight into the back of the net to make the score 1-1.
BETWEEN THE POSTS
- Jim Barkei faced 12 shots and made five saves on the afternoon.
FIRST HALF SUMMARY
- Harvey Moyes recorded a shot on goal in the 10th minute, but it was saved by the IUPUI goalkeeper.
- Tommy Patacca took a long shot for IUPUI in the 15th minute. It sailed over the net and went out for a goal kick.
- Patacca had a header attempt in the 21st minute, but it was not on target.
- Alex Willis found some space in the box in the 25th minute, but his shot was blocked out of bounds for a corner kick.
- In the 29th minute, Patacca’s header went high of the goal.
- Moments later, Probert had his shot blocked on the other end of the field.
- Barkei made a save on Patacca’s header in the 31st minute.
- Tom Suchecki tried to score in the 33rd minute, but his shot was saved by the IUPUI goalkeeper.
- Despite playing into the wind during the half, NKU had a 7-4 shot advantage in the period.
SECOND HALF SUMMARY
- Barkei made a save on a shot attempt by IUPUI’s Pedro Valladao in the 54th minute.
- A few seconds later, Barkei kicked the ball up the field to Willis, but his header attempt was just wide of the goal.
- The Norse earned a free kick just outside the box in the 57th minute, but Alex Greive’s shot was high of the mark.
- IUPUI earned a penalty kick in the 59th minute. Alan Aguilar stepped up to the spot and put the ball into the right lower corner to give the Jaguars a 1-0 lead.
- Probert fired a shot from distance in the 62nd minute, but his attempt was wide of the frame.
- Suchecki and Sam Slocum each recorded a shot on goal in the 67th minute, but both attempts were saved.
- In the 71st minute, Probert tied the match at 1-1.
- The NKU defense blocked a shot by Fernando Borges in the 80th minute.
- Greive had his shot blocked by the IUPUI defense in the 85th minute.
- Barkei recorded a save in the 88th minute on a shot by IUPUI’s Valladao.
- With 25 seconds remaining, Abdul Kooistra put a shot on frame, but it was saved by the Jaguars’ goalkeeper.
- Barkei made a huge save in the 92nd minute to prevent IUPUI’s Yan Souza from scoring. Souza took a shot from inside the box, and Barkei dove to his right and prevented the attempt from going into the back of the net.
- IUPUI won the match with just 42 seconds remaining in the first overtime period. Cameron Peterson took a corner kick, and Corey Goede headed the ball into the back of the net to give IUPUI the 2-1 victory.
- NKU had a 20-13 shot advantage in the match.
- The Norse also had 11 corner kicks, compared to three for IUPUI.
- NKU closes out the regular season at UIC on Friday, Nov. 2. Kickoff is scheduled for 5 p.m. ET/4 p.m. CT.
Northern Kentucky University
Athletic Communications Graduate Assistant