University of Kentucky senior linebacker Josh Allen has been named one of three finalists for the 24th Chuck Bednarik Award for the Outstanding Defensive Player of the Year, announced today by the Maxwell Football Club President, Mark Dianno.
The winner will be announced as part of the Home Depot College Football Awards Show, which airs on Thursday, Dec. 6, live on ESPN. The formal presentations of these awards will be made at the Maxwell Football Club Awards Gala hosted by Tropicana Hotel & Casino Atlantic City on Friday, March 8, 2019.
Allen, a 6-foot-5, 260-pound linebacker from Montclair, New Jersey, has been a terror on defense the entire season as he leads the Southeastern Conference and ranks third nationally in sacks (13.0) and leads the league and ranks 11th nationally in tackles for loss (17.5). He also ranks second nationally in forced fumbles (five).
Interesting Allen notes:
· Broke Kentucky single-season and career records for sacks
· Leads the SEC in sacks (13.0) and tackles for loss (17.5), ranking third and 11th nationally in those categories
· First-Team Mid-Season All-America by The Associated Press, ESPN.com, Pro Football Focus and The Athletic
· Four times SEC Defensive Player of the Week this season, including two wins he clinched with a sack, fumble, and UK recovery on the final possession
· Leads UK with 80 total tackles and has five QB hurries, four pass breakups and two fumble recoveries this season
· Helped lead UK to its best regular-season record in 34 years and first winning SEC record in 41 years
· Also a finalist for the Butkus Award for the nation’s top linebacker and the Bronko Nagurski Trophy as National Defensive Player of the Year
· Current semifinalist for the Walter Camp National Player of the Year and a quarterfinalist for the Lott Trophy as National Defensive Player of the Year
Chuck Bednarik, former standout at Penn and with the Philadelphia Eagles, is a member of both the College Football Hall of Fame’s Class of ’69 and the NFL Hall of Fame’s Class of ’67.
The other finalists for the award are Quinnen Williams (Alabama) and Christian Wilkins (Clemson.)
All questions concerning these the awards presented by the Maxwell Football Club can be directed to Mr. Mark Wolpert (Maxwell Football Club Executive Director) email@example.com, or to Mr. Richard Cirminiello firstname.lastname@example.org (Director of Collegiate Awards).
For more information on the Kentucky football team, follow @UKFootball on Twitter and Instagram, or like Kentucky Football on Facebook.
‑ GO CATS –
For more information contact: