The Eastern Kentucky University men’s basketball team is off to Bowling Green to face in-state rival Western Kentucky on Wednesday night at 8 p.m. ET at E.A. Diddle Arena.
WHAT TO KNOW
– The game can be watched live through Stadium College Basketball on Facebook. Fans can also listen to Greg Stotelmyer’s call of the game online or locally at 100.7 FM.
– This is the 158th meeting between Eastern Kentucky (3-3) and Western Kentucky (4-2). WKU leads the all-time series, 113-44; however, the Colonels defeated the Hilltoppers, 78-59, last year in Richmond, snapping a 13-game losing streak to their in-state rivals.
– EKU’s last win over WKU in Bowling Green came on Feb. 6, 1978 (78-74, in OT).
– EKU (eight) and WKU (six) feature a combined 14 former Kentucky high school players on their rosters.
– Junior Nick Mayo leads the OVC in scoring at 19.8 points-per-game. He also ranks fifth in the conference in rebounding (8.3 rebounds-per-game), sixth in field goal percentage (59.4%), first in three-point field goal percentage (67.7%), fifth in free throw percentage (88.6%) and second in blocks (1.3 blocks-per-game).
– EKU ranks first in the OVC and 11th in the country in free throw percentage (80.7).
– Freshmen Peyton Broughton and Dedric Boyd led EKU to a 99-71 win over Asbury on Saturday. Broughton poured in a career-high 21 points, while Boyd was four rebounds shy of a triple-double with 17 points, 12 assists and six rebounds.
– Boyd’s 12 assists on Saturday were the most by an EKU player in a game since November of 2015.
SCOUTING THE OPPONENT
– WKU scored two big wins against then-No. 18 Purdue and SMU at the Battle 4 Atlantis Tournament in the Bahamas over Thanksgiving Break.
– The Hilltoppers have only eight eligible players on their roster; however, they boast incredibly balanced scoring, as six of the eight average double figures. Darius Thompson – a transfer from Virginia – leads the way at 13.8 points-per-game.
EKU returns home to host Jacksonville on Saturday, December 2, at 6 p.m. ET.
— www.EKUSports.com —
Associate Director of EKUSports Communications