The Eastern Kentucky University men’s basketball team will open Ohio Valley Conference play at Jacksonville State on Thursday night. Tipoff from Pete Mathews Coliseum in Jacksonville, Alabama is scheduled for 8:30 p.m. ET.
WHAT TO KNOW
– This is the fifth consecutive year EKU (6-7) has opened OVC play on the road.
– EKU is 5-1 in its last six OVC openers. The Colonels’ lone loss in that span was last year at Southeast Missouri.
– EKU recorded a season-high 15 steals and forced Marshall into a season-best 20 turnovers last Friday in Huntington; however, the Thundering Herd defeated the Colonels, 91-71.
– Junior Jackson Davis was named the OVC Co- Newcomer of the Week on Wednesday. Davis averaged 16 points, 4 rebounds and 2.5 steals-per-game last week. He went for a season-high 17 points at Marshall.
– Freshman JacQuess Hobbs posted career highs in assists (10) and steals (seven) at Marshall on Friday. His seven steals were the most by a Colonel in a game since Corey Walden had eight vs. Savannah State on Nov. 14, 2014.
– Freshman A.J. Youngman went 3-of-5 from deep at Marshall and now ranks fifth in the OVC in three-point field goal percentage (45.0%).
– Sophomore DeAndre Dishman scored 16 points and grabbed a team-best eight rebounds in only 19 minutes of action at Marshall. Dishman currently ranks second in the OVC in field goal percentage (58.4%).
SCOUTING THE OPPONENT
– Jacksonville State (9-4) – the defending OVC Tournament champion – fell at home to Chattanooga, 70-67, last Thursday.
– Malcom Drumwright paces the Gamecocks at 14.8 points-per-game.
– This is the 29th all-time meeting between EKU and Jacksonville State. The Colonels lead the series, 20-8, and have won five consecutive games over the Gamecocks.
EKU stays on the road to face Tennessee Tech on Saturday in Cookeville at 7:00 p.m. ET. That game will be televised on CBS Sports Network.
— www.EKUSports.com —
Associate Director of EKUSports Communications