The University of Louisville women’s tennis team topped Cincinnati 5-2 on Sunday afternoon at the Bass-Rudd Tennis Center to remain undefeated in dual match action. With the victory, the Cardinals improve to 5-0, while the Bearcats drop to 1-2.
“I’m really happy with this. We didn’t play as well as we could, but part of that was because of Cincinnati,” said UofL head coach Mark Beckham. “We did have a couple nicks here and there, but once again, I’m not in the excuse making business. The thing that I really liked was that we still found ways to win. For me, it was a really good win because Cincinnati battles.”
The Bearcats gained the initial advantage in doubles as Antonella Bramato and Alexia Coutino defeated Sena Suswam and Raven Neely 6-4 at No. 1. Despite a hard-fought effort on court three, Dina Chaika and Diana Wong fell to Emma Miceli and Caroline Morton by a mark of 6-4, allowing Cincinnati to secure an early 1-0 lead.
In other doubles action, the Cardinals’ Nikolina Jovic and Chloe Hamlin downed Ioana Guna and Anna Philip 6-4 at No. 2.
Louisville countered in singles as Neely knotted the score at 1-1 with a 6-3, 6-1 victory over Caroline Morton on court three. Suswam then gave the Cardinals a 2-1 lead, topping Guna 6-3, 6-2 at No. 2.
The Cardinals continued to roll, picking up another victory on court four as Jovic triumphed over Coutino 6-2, 6-3 to extend the lead to 3-1. However, the Bearcats responded with a win of their own at the five-spot as Maria Santili beat Hamlin 7-5, 6-1.
With the match coming down to courts one and six, Wong outlasted Cincinnati’s Miceli 6-0, 4-6, 6-4 at No. 6 to move the score to 4-2 and clinch the victory for the Cardinals.
Mally also won a tightly contested battle on court one, prevailing over Bramato 6-3, 3-6, 6-2 to seal the 5-2 win over the Bearcats.
Up next, the Cardinals will head south to play Charleston Southern on Saturday at 12 p.m.
Tennis Match Results
Cincinnati vs Louisville
1/27/2019 at Louisville, Ky.
(Bass-Russ Tennis Center)
Louisville 5, Cincinnati 2
1. Aleksandra Mally (LOU) def. Antonella Bramato (CIN) 6-3, 3-6, 6-2
2. Sena Suswam (LOU) def. Ioana Guna (CIN) 6-3, 6-2
3. Raven Neely (LOU) def. Caroline Morton (CIN) 6-3, 6-1
4. Nikolina Jovic (LOU) def. Alexia Coutino (CIN) 6-2, 6-3
5. Maria Santilli (CIN) def. Chloe Hamlin (LOU) 7-5, 6-1
6. Diana Wong (LOU) def. Emma Miceli (CIN) 6-0, 4-6, 6-4
1. Antonella Bramato/Alexia Coutino (CIN) def. Sena Suswam/Raven Neely (LOU) 6-4
2. Nikolina Jovic/Chloe Hamlin (LOU) def. Ioana Guna/Anna Philp (CIN) 6-4
3. Emma Miceli/Caroline Morton (CIN) def. Dina Chaika/Diana Wong (LOU) 6-4
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (3,2,4,5,6,1)
Nancy Allison Worley
Associate Director, Sports Information
University of Louisville Athletics