Northern Kentucky University softball announced its complete schedule for the upcoming 2019 season on Wednesday afternoon. The Norse will face 23 nonconference opponents in addition to eight Horizon League series.
- NKU will play in five preseason tournaments between February and March.
- The Norse spend the first two weeks of the season in North Carolina. NKU opens up the campaign at the Elon Softball February Classic, facing Virginia, Elon, Hampton and North Carolina Central between Feb. 15-17. The team then makes the short trip to Greensboro for the UNCG Tournament on Feb. 22-24, which will pit the Norse against the host Spartans as well as Iona and Longwood. The tournament will feature a seeded game on Feb. 23 followed by a consolation or championship match on Feb. 24.
- From there, the Norse will head to Nashville for the Bruin Classic, hosted by Belmont on March 1-3. NKU will play Belmont and Dayton twice and has one matchup against Alabama A&M.
- NKU has its final tune-ups for Horizon League play in the Sunshine State, starting with the Santa Clara Tournament on March 8-10. The Norse will play Cal State Northridge, UC Davis, Cal State Fullerton, Nevada and Santa Clara in San Jose and Santa Clara, California. On March 12, NKU will take on UMass Lowell in a single neutral-site game on Santa Clara’s campus. The Norse conclude their tournament slate on March 15-17 at the UC Riverside Tournament in Riverside, California. NKU will play two games against Southern Utah and three games against Idaho State.
2019 Home Schedule
- NKU takes to Grein Softball Field for the first time in 2019 on March 22-23 against IUPUI in the Horizon League opener. The two teams will play a single game at 4 p.m. on Friday before a 1 p.m. doubleheader on Saturday.
- The Norse host Kentucky, which advanced to the NCAA Super Regional in Eugene, Oregon last season and finished the season ranked No. 19 nationally, on April 9 at 5 p.m. in a mid-week tune-up.
- Green Bay comes to Highland Heights on April 12-13, with a 4 p.m. single game on Friday and a noon doubleheader on Saturday.
- NKU returns home on April 23-24 against Youngtown State with a doubleheader on Tuesday and a single game on Wednesday. Both will begin at 2 p.m.
- The final week of home play starts with a 3 p.m. doubleheader against regional foe Miami (Ohio) on Tuesday, April 30. The Norse host Cleveland State for Senior Weekend on May 3-4 at 4 p.m. and 1 p.m., the latter of which will be a doubleheader.
2019 Road Schedule
- NKU will hit the road between March 26-April 3, starting with a single game at Ohio on March 26. First pitch against the Bobcats is scheduled for 5 p.m.
- The Norse then head to Rochester, Michigan, for a league tilt at Oakland on March 29-30. Friday will feature a single game at 3 p.m., while Saturday’s doubleheader starts at 1 p.m.
- League rival Wright State is up next for the Norse on April 2-3 in a mid-week series, starting with a 4 p.m., Tuesday doubleheader before a single game at 4 p.m., on Wednesday.
- The Norse will make the short trip south to Richmond, Kentucky, to face Eastern Kentucky on April 17 at 3 p.m. before heading to Chicago to face the reigning Horizon League champion UIC on April 19-20. The series against the Flames features a single game on Friday at 5 p.m. CT/6 ET and a doubleheader on Saturday beginning at noon CT/1 p.m. ET.
- NKU’s final road trip of the regular season will be at Detroit Mercy on April 26-27. Friday will be a single game at 3 p.m., while Saturday will be a noon doubleheader.
The Norse made their first Division I postseason appearance last year and look to reprise the success with a trip to the Horizon League Championship. The league’s postseason tournament will be held May 8-11 on the campus site of the regular-season champion.
Assistant Athletic Communications Director
Northern Kentucky University