Northern Kentucky men’s tennis opened up the 2019 campaign at Kentucky, falling 7-0 to a team that is receiving votes in the latest ITA rankings.
- The Norse took at least one game off the Wildcats in doubles action, with Aleksander Sadal and Jorge Rodriguez Agudo falling 6-2 in the top flight against Enzo Wallart and Cesar Bourgois, while Nathan Schwartz and Felipe Hidalgo dropped a 6-2 set in No. 2 doubles against Fabian Penzkofer and Ryo Matsumura.
- Sadal opened up his collegiate singles career against a 2018 All-American and had a competitive 6-4 opening set versus Matsumura before falling 6-1 in the second.
- Schwartz also won five games in his collegiate singles debut, dropping a 6-2, 6-2 decision to Cesar Bourgois in No. 2 singles.
- For the second-straight season, Blaine Carr claimed the most games against the Wildcats, falling 6-3, 6-4 to Theo McDonald in the No. 4 singles match.
The Norse travel to the Air Force Academy in Colorado for a pair of matches on Jan. 18-19. NKU faces Air Force on Friday, Jan. 18 at 4 p.m. MT/6 ET before taking on Northern Colorado on Saturday, Jan. 19 at 1 p.m. MT/3 ET.
Kentucky 7, NKU 0
Singles (Order of Finish: 2,3,4*,1,5,6)
1. Ryo Matsumura (UK) def. Aleksander Sadal (NKU) 6-4, 6-1
2. Cesar Bourgouis (UK) def. Nathan Schwartz (NKU) 6-3, 6-2
3. Kento Yamada (UK) def. Jorge Rodriguez Agudo (NKU) 6-0, 6-2
4. Theo McDonald (UK) def. Blaine Carr (NKU) 6-3, 6-4
5. Fabian Penzkofer (UK) def. Chris Murray (NKU) 6-0, 6-0
6. Kevin Huempfner (UK) def. Felipe Hidalgo (NKU) 6-1, 6-3
Doubles (Order of Finish: 3,1*,2)
1. Enzo Wallart/Cesar Bourgouis (UK) def. Aleksander Sada/Jorge Rodriguez Agudo (NKU) 6-2
2. Fabian Penzkofer/Ryo Matsumura (UK) def. Nathan Schwartz/Felipe Hidalgo (NKU) 6-2
3. Kento Yamada/Arthur Chen (UK) def. Nick Elleman/Blaine Carr (NKU) 6-1
Assistant Athletic Communications Director
Northern Kentucky University