The University of Louisville women’s tennis team earned a hard-fought victory on Sunday, defeating James Madison University (JMU) 4-3 at the Bass-Rudd Tennis Center. The Cardinals started the match strong, taking the doubles point with wins from Andrea Di Palma and Rhea Verma at the No. 1 pair, and Jamilah Snells and Cici Xin at the No. 2 pair.
Going into singles play with a 1-0 lead, the Dukes tied the score 1-1, but the Cardinals quickly regained their lead with wins at the No. 1 and No. 6 pairs. JMU mounted a comeback with wins at the No. 2 and No. 3 pairs, bringing the score to 3-3. In the end, it was Xin who clinched the match for the Cardinals after two closely contested sets, 7-6 (7-3), 7-6 (7-5).
Louisville head coach Mark Beckham was pleased with the win, calling it a “good win” against a team that is likely to win their conference and make the NCAA Tournament. Despite not playing their best, the Cardinals were able to beat a strong opponent, which gives them things to work on and prepares them for their next match against Cincinnati.
The Cardinals will be back in action on Friday, when they host Cincinnati at 11 a.m. in the Bass-Rudd Tennis Center.
Tennis Match Results
Louisville vs JMU
Feb 5, 2023 in Louisville, Ky.
(Bass-Rudd Tennis Center)
Louisville 4, James Madison 3
1. Andrea Di Palma (LOU) def. Kylie Moulin (JMU) 6-4, 6-4
2. Daria Afanasyeva (JMU) def. Jamilah Snells (LOU) 6-4, 6-4
3. Ines Oliveira (JMU) def. Rhea Verma (LOU) 7-5, 6-3
4. Cici Xin (LOU) def. Daniela Voloh (JMU) 7-6 (7-3), 7-6 (7-5)
5. Daria Munteanu (JMU) def. Maria Campos (LOU) 6-2, 6-2
6. Tyra Richardson (LOU) def. Reka Matko (JMU) 7-5, 6-2
1. Andrea Di Palma/Rhea Verma (LOU) def. Kylie Moulin/Ines Oliveira (JMU) 6-2
2. Jamilah Snells/Cici Xin (LOU) def. Daniela Voloh/Daria Munteanu (JMU) 6-3
3. Daria Afanasyeva/Reka Matko (JMU) def. Sasha Gorchanyuk/Maria Campos (LOU) 6-4
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (5,1,6,2,3)