Eastern Kentucky University’s baseball team will host No. 4 University of Louisville on Tuesday at Earle Combs Stadium.
The Maroon Out game is scheduled to begin at 5 p.m. and will air live on ESPN+. Maroon t-shirts will be given away while supplies last.
Louisville native and EKU softball All-American Paige Murphy will throw out the first pitch at the game.
INSIDE THE SERIES
– Louisville leads the all-time series 55-33.
– The two teams met earlier this season in Louisville. The Colonels lost 5-1 to then eighth ranked Louisville. The Cardinals held EKU to three hits, but UofL had just five hits.
– Eastern Kentucky is 11-8 after suffering a three-game sweep at Morehead State over the weekend.
– Will Johnson leads the conference in stolen bases (15) and walks (23), is fifth in runs (19), tied for fourth in home runs (5), and seventh in on-base percentage (.473).
– The Colonels have 54 stolen bases. That is fifth in the nation and 20 more than any other Ohio Valley Conference team.
– Nick Howie is second in the OVC with a .518 on-base percentage, fourth with a .394 batting average, fourth with a .697 slugging percentage, tied for fourth with 17 RBIs, tied for fourth with five home runs and tied for fifth with 26 hits.
– Freshman Jacob Ferris will start on the mound for EKU. The right-hander is 2-1 this season with a 6.06 ERA. He has 17 strikeouts in 16 and one-third innings of work.
SCOUTING THE OPPONENT
– UofL is 16-4 overall and 5-1 in the Atlantic Coast Conference.
– The Cardinals have won five straight games. During that streak, they beat No. 7 Ole Miss twice and swept a three-game series at No. 24 Duke.
– Lucas Dunn leads the team with a .340 batting average. Jake Snider has a team-best 22 runs scored. Tyler Fitzgerald leads the Cardinals with 19 RBIs and eight stolen bases.
– Junior right-hander Luke Smith will start for Louisville. Smith has made three starts and a total of five appearances this season. He is 1-0 with a 4.29 ERA. Smith started the first meeting between the two teams this season, allowing one unearned run on two hits in six innings.
Assistant Athletics Director for Communications & Branding