The University of Louisville men’s tennis team rallied to overcome a 3-1 deficit, but fell 3 to No. 27 Florida State in an ACC matchup Friday afternoon at the Bass-Rudd Tennis Center.
“I liked seeing the fight of the guys,” said UofL head coach Rex Ecarma. “To be in a position to win felt good against a very well-coached FSU. To be in a dogfight with them showed that these young Cardinals are ready to do some things. Our team really fought hard today and I like to see that.”
The Seminoles (14-5, 4-2 ACC) took a 1-0 lead after winning a competitive doubles point. Chase Wood and Richard Thongoana gave FSU an early edge with a 6-2 decision against Louisville senior Federico Gomez and freshman Alex Wesbrooks at No. 3. UofL senior Christopher Morin-Kougoucheff and freshman Fabien Salle battled Sebastian Arcila and Alex Knaff, but ultimately fell 7-6 at the one-spot. On court two, senior George Hedley and freshman Sergio Hernandez were knotted at 6-6 with Lucas Poullain and Bryn Nahrung when their match was halted.
In singles action, Florida State added another point when No. 84 Lucas Poullain defeated Morin-Kougoucheff at No. 1. The Seminoles extended their lead to 3-0 on court six where Sebastian Arcila beat freshman David Mizrahi 6-2, 7-5.
Salle picked up UofL’s first point with a 6-4. 6-4 win over Wood at the No. 4 spot. Hernandez kept the Cardinals momentum going when he outlasted Thongoana 6-4, 7-6 (1) on court three. Gomez continued the Louisville’s rally after falling 7-6 (1) in his first set against Enzo Le Seguillon, but rebounding to win 6-2, 6-3 in the next two sets and even the overall score at 3-3.
The match came down to court two where Louisville senior Brandon Lancaster lost his first set 6-4 to Knaff, but came back to win 7-5 in the second to force a third set. Knaff prevailed 6-2 to secure the win for the Seminoles.
Louisville (12-8, 1-5) will continue ACC play on March 29 when the Cards play host to Miami at 1:30 p.m.
#27 Florida State University 4, Louisville Men’s Tennis 3
3/22/2019 at Louisville, Ky.
(Bass-Rudd Tennis Center)
1. #84 Lucas Poullain (FS) def. Christopher Morin-Kougoucheff (LOU) 6-3, 6-0
2. Alex Knaff (FS) def. Brandon Lancaster (LOU) 4-6, 7-5, 6-2
3. Sergio Hernandez (LOU) def. Richard Thongoana (FS) 6-4, 7-6 (1-0)
4. Fabien Salle (LOU) def. Chase Wood (FS) 6-4, 6-4
5. Federico Gomez (LOU) def. Enzo Le Seguillon (FS) 6-7 (0-1), 6-2, 6-3
6. Sebastian Arcila (FS) def. David Mizrahi (LOU) 6-2, 7-5
1. Sebastian Arcila/Alex Knaff (FS) def. Christopher Morin-Kougoucheff/Fabien Salle (LOU) 7-6 (10-5)
2. George Hedley/Sergio Hernandez (LOU) vs. Lucas Poullain/Bryn Nahrung (FS) 6-6, unfinished
3. Chase Wood/Richard Thongoana (FS) def. Federico Gomez/Alex Wesbrooks (LOU) 6-2
Louisville Men’s Tennis 12-8 (1-5)
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1); Singles (1,6,4,3,5,2)
Assistant Sports Information Director
University of Louisville Athletics