The Northern Kentucky University baseball team was defeated by Milwaukee on Friday, 15-12. The Norse fall to 4-14 overall and 3-1 in the Horizon League. The Panthers improve to 10-8 on the year and 2-2 in league play.
AT THE PLATE
- Will Haueter went 3-for-6 with two runs and two RBI.
- Andrew Bacon was 2-for-4 with a home run and four RBI.
- Collin Luty went 2-for-3 at the plate with a run scored.
ON THE MOUND
- Sam Williams (L, 1-5) got the start on the mound. He pitched five innings, allowing for runs while striking out three batters.
- Cameron Ross came out of the bullpen and gave up four runs (three earned) on three hits and two walks.
- Noah Richardson threw a third of an inning, allowing a hit and a walk.
- Joe Martin pitched 1.2 innings. He gave up seven runs on four hits and two walks.
- Gunnar Barnard went out to the mound in the eighth inning, recording the final two out of the frame. He also pitched a scoreless ninth inning.
- The Norse went ahead 2-0 in the bottom of the first. Jake Murray hit an RBI triple to score Sam Hedges, and Murray came home on a single by Griffin Doersching.
- Milwaukee tied the game at 2-2 in the top of the third. Dylan Rybacki hit a solo home run to make the score 2-1, and Trevor Schwecke came home on an RBI single by Joe Vyskocil.
- The Panthers took a 3-2 lead in the fifth on Vyskocil’s solo home run.
- Milwaukee crossed the plate five times in the sixth to go ahead 8-2. Rybacki hit a two-run single to score Matt Quartel and Jack Kraus, Tyler Bordner added a two-run single, and Kraus walked with the bases loaded to bring home Vyskocil.
- NKU responded with three runs in the bottom half of the sixth to make the score 8-5. Bacon hit a three-run homer in the inning to score Preston Pilat and Haueter.
- The Norse scored twice in the seventh to get within one run, 8-7. Murray scored on a wild pitch in the frame, and Haueter came home on an RBI groundout by Noah Fisher.
- Milwaukee responded with seven runs in the eighth to go ahead 15-7. The biggest hit in the inning came on a grand slam by Schwecke.
- NKU had three runners cross the plate in the eighth inning to make the score 15-10. Haueter hit a two-run single, and Bacon followed with an RBI single.
- The Norse got two runs in the bottom of the ninth, but Milwaukee went on to win 15-12.
- Milwaukee had a 20-15 advantage in hits.
- Each team had an error.
- The Panthers left 13 runners on base, while NKU stranded nine runners.
- NKU faces Milwaukee in game two of the series on Saturday, March 23. First pitch is scheduled for 1 p.m. at the Bill Aker Baseball Complex.
Northern Kentucky University
Athletic Communications Graduate Assistant