Northern Kentucky softball fell in game 1 of a three game Horizon League series to IUPUI in a 4-2 extra innings decision. The Norse drop to 7-16 overall and 0-1 in Horizon League play while the Jaguars move to 7-21 overall and 1-0 in conference play.
At the Plate
- Jaguars held a 8-6 lead in hits in the afternoon matchup.
- Kit Rocco went 1-for-3 from the plate with a double, which drove in the pinch runner Kambra Crist in for Madi Mulder after her double.
- The Norse had all 6 hits, including three doubles, contributed by different players and only struck out once in the game.
In the Circle
- Taylor Ginther pitched the complete game with six strikeouts, matching her career best and allowing only two earned runs while walking only one batter. She moves to 5-8 on the year.
- The team remained scoreless through the early innings until back-to-back doubles by Mulder and Rocco opened up a 1-0 lead in the fourth.
- The Jaguars rallied in the seventh to score the tying run and force the extra innings
- IUPUI came out the gate quick in the eighth with multiple hits combined with errors by NKU to tack on three more runs.
- Ava Lawson stepped up in extras with a lead-off double and brought around to score by a single by Josie Frazier, but the Norse were unable to muster any more runs as the frame closed.
- The Norse return to tomorrow to host IUPUI in a doubleheader to wrap up the three-game series. First pitch on game 1 of the DH is set for 1 p.m ET and can be watched on ESPN3.
Assistant Athletic Communications Director
Northern Kentucky University