The Thomas More University baseball team won the first of a three game series with Transylvania, 7-6, tonight (Friday, March 22, 2019) at Whitaker Bank Ballpark in Lexington, Kentucky. The Saints improve to 6-8 and the Pioneers fall to 6-10.
HOW THEY SCORED:
- Thomas More scored three runs in the top of the first inning. First –year second baseman Brett Benzinger (Taylor Mill, Ky./Richmond) had a run batted-in double in the first inning scoring senior shortstop Sean Lawrence (Independence, Ky./Simon Kenton). Benzinger then scored on a double by senior catcher Sam Hauer (Cincinnati, Ohio/Elder). Hauer crossed the plate on a sacrifice fly by junior designated hitter Matt Wellbrock (Cincinnati, Ohio/Elder).
- Transylvania tied the game at 3-3 with three runs in the bottom of the first.
- The Saints took a 5-3 lead in the third with a pair of runs as Hauer scored on a wild pitch and senior right fielder Joshua Boeckmann (Cincinnati, Ohio/Elder) scored on an error.
- The Pioneers cut the lead to 5-4 with a run in the bottom of the third inning.
- Benzinger gave Thomas More a 7-4 lead in the top of the fifth when he had a two-run single scoring first-year third baseman Bailey Martin (Independence, Ky./Simon Kenton) and senior first baseman Nick Jenkins (Hilliard, Ohio/Hilliard Bradley).
- Transylvania scored one run in the sixth and one in the ninth.
- Hauer led the team at the plate as he was four-for-six with two doubles, two runs scored and a RBI.
- Benzinger was two-for-six with a double, three RBI and a run scored.
- Martin was two-for-four with a double, a RBI and a run scored.
- Senior center fielder Blaise Ostertag (Burlington, Ky./Conner) was two-for-four.
- Sophomore pitcher Jordan Houze (Lawrenceburg, Ind./Lawrenceburg) earned the win on the mound as he pitched six innings giving up five runs (four earned) on seven hits and struck out five.
- Senior pitcher Jonathan Breeden (Erlanger, Ky./Dixie Heights) pitched two scoreless innings of relief and only gave up one hit, while striking out one.
- Junior pitcher Justin Ward (Cincinnati, Ohio/Elder) earned the save as he pitched the ninth inning and gave up one run (earned) on two hits, while striking out one.
- Thomas More and Transylvania will close out the three-game series tomorrow with a doubleheader at Whitaker Bank Ballpark.
- First pitch is scheduled for 1 p.m.
Assistant Athletic Director – Compliance and Communication
Thomas More University