(SALEM, Va.) – The top-ranked Thomas More University women’s basketball team defeated ninth-ranked University of Scranton, 69-56, tonight (Friday, March 15, 2019) in the semifinals of the 2019 NCAA Division III Women’s Basketball Championship at the Cregger Center in Salem, Virginia. The Saints improve to 32-0 and the Royals end the season at 29-3.
- Thomas More jumped out to an early 15-6 lead with 4:30 to play in the first quarter.
- Sranton closed the opening quarter on a 13-4 run to tie the game at 19-19 after one quarter.
- The Saints opened the second quarter on a 9-0 run to build a 28-19 lead with 5:43 to play in the quarter.
- The team teams played event over the final 5:43 to take a 37-28 lead at halftime.
- Thomas More shot 50 percent (12-of-24) from the field in the first half, including 42.9 percent (three-of-seven) from behind the three-point arc.
- The Saints out-scored the Royals 14-8 in the paint, 17-13 off turnovers and 7-2 in second chance points.
- Junior forward Emily Schultz (Melbourne, Ky./Bishop Brossart) scored 10 points in the opening half.
- Junior guard Kaela Saner (Florence, Ky./Boone County) tallied 10 points.
- Scranton opened the third quarter on a 14-1 run and took a 42-38 lead with 3:08 to play in the quarter.
- The Saints responded and closed the quarter on a 7-0 run to take a 45-42 lead after three quarters.
- Thomas More out-scored Scranton 24-14 in the fourth quarter to post the 69-56 victory.
- The Saints had a 10-8 advantage in the paint and 3-2 on second chance points in the second half.
- Senior guard Madison Temple (Cincinnati, Ohio/Anderson) scored 16 points and pulled down eight rebounds in the second half, including 14 points and seven rebounds in the fourth quarter.
- Schultz tallied seven points in the closing half.
- The Saints out-scored Scranton 24-16 in the paint, 19-15 off turnovers, 10-4 on second chance points and 13-7 on fast breaks.
- Temple finished the game with 20 points, nine rebounds, six assists and two steals.
- Schultz added 17 points and four rebounds.
- Senior forward Shelby Rupp (Milan, Ind./Batesville) tallied 11 points, pulled down seven rebounds and blocked two shots, while recording three steals.
- Saner scored 10 points and pulled down four rebounds.
- The Saints advance to play third-ranked Bowdoin College at 7:30 p.m. tomorrow in the NCAA Division III National Championship Game at the Cregger Center.
- Bowdoin defeated second-ranked University of St. Thomas, 71-60, in the first semifinal game tonight.
Assistant Athletic Director – Compliance and Communication
Thomas More University