The Northern Kentucky University baseball team defeated Wright State on Friday by a final score of 6-3. NKU improves to 7-21 overall and 5-5 in Horizon League play. The Raiders fall to 20-9 on the season and 6-4 in the league.
AT THE PLATE
- Griffin Kain had a 2-for-4 showing at the plate with an RBI and a run.
- Griffin Doersching also batted 2-for-4 with a home run and two RBI.
- Jake Murray went 2-for-4 with a two-run homer.
- Will Haueter, Andrew Bacon, Jayden Wakeham, Noah Fisher, and Collin Luty also added a hit in the contest.
ON THE MOUND
- Sam Williams (W, 2-6) gave the Norse a quality start on the mound to earn the win. The southpaw went seven innings, allowing three runs on five hits and three walks. He also struck out seven batters.
- Joe Martin recorded a save, pitching two scoreless innings. He allowed just two hits and a walk, while striking out a batter.
- Wright State went ahead 1-0 in the top of the second. Zach Weatherford’s RBI double down the left field line scored Seth Gray.
- NKU tied the game at 1-1 in the bottom of the third. Kain’s single brought home Luty, who was hit by a pitch earlier in the frame.
- The Raiders’ Alex Alders hit a two-run homer in the top of the fourth to give Wright State a 3-1 lead.
- Doersching led off the bottom of the fourth for NKU with a solo home run to left center to make the score 3-2.
- The Norse scored twice in the bottom of the seventh to go ahead 4-3. Doersching hit an RBI single to right field to score Kain, and Haueter also crossed the plate on an error by the Wright State right fielder.
- Murray added insurance runs for the Norse in the bottom of the eighth. Luty singled in the inning with two outs. Following the single, Murray blasted a two-run homer to right field to put NKU ahead 6-3.
- NKU had an 11-7 advantage in hits.
- Wright State committed one error, while the Norse had none.
- Doersching hit his fifth homer of the season, and Murray recorded his second home run.
- NKU hosts Wright State on Saturday at 1 p.m. The game will be broadcast on ESPN+.
Northern Kentucky University
Athletic Communications Graduate Assistant