The Thomas More University baseball team split a doubleheader with the University of Cincinnati-Clermont today (April 11, 2019) at Thomas More Field in Crestview Hills, Kentucky. UC-Clermont won game one, 9-5, and the Saints won the nightcap, 11-2. Thomas More is now 11-14 and the Cougars are 19-14.
GAME ONE (UC-CLERMONT, 9-5)
- First-year second baseman Brett Benzinger (Taylor Mill, Ky./New Richmond) was two-for-three with two doubles.
- Senior right fielder Joshua Boeckmann (Cincinnati, Ohio/Elder) was two-for-four with a run scored.
- Senior shortstop Sean Lawrence (Independence, Ky./Simon Kenton) was one-for-four with a home run, two runs batted-in and a run scored.
- First-year first baseman Brennan Baker (Independence, Ky./Simon Kenton) was one-for-three with two RBI, a home run and a run scored.
- Sophomore pitcher Andrew Schramm (Cincinnati, Ohio/Elder) suffered the loss on the mound as he pitched one and a third innings giving up four runs (all earned) on six hits and striking out one.
GAME TWO (THOMAS MORE, 11-2)
- Junior catcher Matt Wellbrock (Cincinnati, Ohio/Elder) was three-for-three with a home run, three RBI and three runs scored.
- First-year third baseman Bailey Martin (Independence, Ky./Simon Kenton) was two-for-four with a run scored.
- Lawrence was two-for-four with two doubles, two runs scored and a RBI.
- Senior first baseman Nick Jenkins (Hilliard, Ohio/Hilliard Bradley) was two-for-four with three RBI.
- First-year pitcher Mitch Mierke (Milford, Ohio/Milford) earned the win as he pitched five innings giving up one run (earned) on five hits and striking out five.
- First-year pitcher Joey Weller (Liberty, Ind./Union County) pitched two innings of relief and gave up one run (earned) on one hit and struck out two.
- The Saints return to action on Saturday (April 13) when they travel to Latrobe, Pennsylvania to play Saint Vincent College in a 12 p.m. doubleheader.