The Northern Kentucky men’s soccer team earned a 0-0 draw at Eastern Illinois on Tuesday afternoon. NKU’s record moves to 2-1-1, while Eastern Illinois remains unbeaten at 1-0-4.
“Overall, I am very pleased with the result and defensive performance today,” said NKU head coach Stu Riddle. “The conditions did not allow for a quality game of soccer, and chances for either side were few and far between. We now head into Horizon League play with two good results in a row, a shutout, and most importantly, the team is healthy and in good spirits.”
Jim Barkei faced nine shots on the day, and he was forced to make two saves.
EIU’s Mike Novotny made four saves on seven Norse shot attempts.
The Norse had a chance to score in the opening seconds of the match. Alex Greive found some space and fired a shot, but it was saved by EIU’s Novotny.
EIU’s first offensive chance came in the 11th minute of the match. Zach Medawattage took a shot on goal, but Jim Barkei made the save on the play.
Tom Suchecki tried to put NKU ahead in the 15th minute, but his effort was also saved by Novotny.
The Panthers took a corner kick in the 21st minute. Federico Verlicchi secured the ball off of the kick, but his shot went wide.
Each team had two shots in the first half, with Northern Kentucky putting both of its attempts on goal.
EIU earned the first scoring opportunity of the second half. Marcus Menniti put his attempt on goal, but Barkei made the stop for his second save of the match.
A few minutes later, the Panthers’ Kris Luke also took a shot, but his attempt was wide of the net.
NKU’s first shot of the period came in the 64th minute. Suchecki’s second shot of the match was once again saved by Novotny.
In the 84th minute, EIU’s Shady Omar fired a shot, but his attempt went high.
Calvin Murphy and Tom Suchecki had opportunities to score for the Norse in the 85th and 87th minutes, respectively, but both of their attempts went wide.
With the score tied 0-0 at the end of regulation, the teams went to overtime.
EIU’s Tyler Enright recorded the first shot of the overtime period in the 97th minute, but it went wide of the mark.
Minutes later, the Panthers’ Christian Sosnowski fired a shot over the net.
The teams were still tied after 100 minutes and proceeded to play the second and final overtime period.
NKU had the first chance of the second overtime period. Rikard Lindqvist took a corner kick, which found Greive, but his attempt went high.
A little over a minute later, Edo Durante’s shot went on frame, but Novotny was able to secure the ball for a save.
EIU’s Verlicchi had the first shot of the second overtime period for the home team, but his attempt went high.
NKU had one last chance to score, but the EIU defense was able to clear the Norse corner kick to extinguish the threat.
EIU’s Mike Novotny leads all NCAA Division I goalkeepers in total saves and saves per game.
The Panthers now have four ties in five games.
NKU had seven shots in the match, with four on goal. The Panthers recorded nine shots, but just two were on frame.
The Norse had eight corner kicks in the match, compared to three for EIU.
The Norse will open Horizon League play on Saturday, Sept. 9 by hosting Belmont. Kickoff is scheduled for 7 p.m., and the match will be broadcast on ESPN3.
Ryan Wilker
Northern Kentucky University
Athletic Communications Graduate Assistant


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here