The Eastern Kentucky University soccer team hits the road this weekend to finish up a four-game road swing. The Colonels will take on Gardner-Webb in Boiling Spring, North Carolina on Friday at 7 p.m. before facing off against No. 24 Louisville on Sunday night at 7:30 p.m.
WHAT TO KNOW
– EKU (4-2) split last weekend’s road trip, falling to Marshall (2-1) and knocking off Kentucky (1-0).
– Zoe Aguirre was named Goalkeeper of the week for the second time in as many weeks on Tuesday.
– Kylie Thompson scored her first goal of the year on Sunday, which would end up being the game winner against Kentucky.
– Sophomore Sarah Owusu is ranked second in the conference with three goals on the year.
– Freshman keeper Aguirre picked up her second clean card of the year when the Colonels knocked off Kentucky on Sunday. She ranks first in the conference in shutouts on the year.
– Kacey Eckley and Katie Shaffer remain rock solid on the back line for the Colonels as they never came off the field last weekend, logging 180 minutes each.
SCOUTING THE OPPONENTS
– Gardner-Webb (2-3-1) tied with Navy (1-1) before falling to Appalachian State (3-4) last Sunday.
– EKU lost to Gardner-Webb last year in Richmond (2-0).
– The Bulldogs are led by Jada Newton, who has four goals on the year.
– Louisville (5-0) is off to its best start since 2012. The Cardinals, ranked No. 24 in the country, knocked off Kentucky (1-0) last Friday.
– The Colonels haven’t taken on Louisville since the 2011 season, when the Cardinals won (5-0).
– Brooklyn Rivers leads the way for the Cardinals with four goals and one assist on the year.
Following this weekend’s two game road trip, the Colonels return home for conference play when they welcome SIUE (September 14) and Eastern Illinois (September 16).
Associate Director of EKUSports Communications