The Northern Kentucky University men’s soccer team defeated Green Bay in exciting fashion on Saturday night by a final score of 2-1. Rikard Lindqvist scored with 1:17 left in the match to lift the Norse past the Phoenix. NKU moves to 6-1 on the year and 1-1 in the Horizon League. Green Bay falls to 4-1-1 on the season and 1-1 in league play.
“That was an incredible performance that showed grit, perseverance and quality to find a way to win the match,” said NKU head coach Stu Riddle. “It was another top effort against last year’s regular season Horizon League champions who were undefeated on the year.”
NKU SCORING SUMMARY
- Trailing 1-0, Alex Greive played a corner kick into the box for the Norse in the 73rd minute. Alex Willis headed the ball near the goal line toward the Green Bay goalkeeper, and he was unable to save the attempt, which allowed NKU to tie the match at 1-1.
- Lindqvist gave the Norse a 2-1 lead with 1:17 left in the match. Alex Greive played a ball from the top of the box to the left, and Lindqvist secured the ball and put his shot into the lower right corner to give the Norse the lead.
BETWEEN THE POSTS
- Ed Harvey made his first collegiate start in the match. He faced 15 shots and made four saves to earn his first victory in the net for NKU.
FIRST HALF SUMMARY
- Stian Jørgensen recorded a shot on goal in the 13th minute.
- Harvey made his first save in the 14th minute on a shot by Green Bay’s Joey Bourgeois.
- Green Bay’s Karim Lauba had a chance to score in the 17th minute, but his attempt was high of the net.
- Lauba got behind the NKU defense in the 29th minute, but Harvey stepped up from his line and made a save to prevent him from scoring.
- Tomer Zloczower took a shot from inside the box in the 31st minute, but the NKU defense blocked the attempt and cleared it out of the box.
- Green Bay had an 8-2 shot advantage, but just two attempts were on goal.
- The Phoenix also had nine fouls in the first half, compared to five for NKU.
SECOND HALF SUMMARY
- Greive fired a shot for the Norse in the 47th minute, but his attempt from the left side was just high of the frame.
- Connor Probert had a shot in the 57th minute, but his attempt was high of the mark.
- Harvey made a nice save on a shot by Green Bay’s Bourgeois in the 62nd minute.
- In the 66th minute, Harvey stopped a hard shot from Green Bay’s Buran Huseini.
- Green Bay took a 1-0 lead in the 72nd minute. Clay Brown took a pass from Robleh Omar and slipped his shot past Harvey to give the Phoenix the lead.
- Willis tied the match at 1-1 in the 73rd minute.
- The Norse had a good chance to score in the 86th minute, but Alex Willis’ shot attempt from inside the box was saved.
- Lindqvist put the Norse ahead 2-1 in the 89th minute to help the team get the win.
- Green Bay finished with a 15-7 shot advantage.
- The Phoenix had five shots on goal, and NKU had four.
- Lindqvist’s goal was his first of the season.
- Green Bay entered the match at 4-0-1.
- Greive now has nine assists on the season. He entered the weekend being tied for first in the NCAA in assists.
- Willis’ goal was his eighth of the season. He was tied for first in the NCAA in points and second in goals coming into this match.
- The Norse head to Purdue Fort Wayne on Monday evening. Kickoff is scheduled for 7 p.m., and the match will be broadcast live on YouTube.
Northern Kentucky University
Athletic Communications Graduate Assistant