The No. 4 seed Eastern Kentucky University soccer team will square off against No. 1 UT Martin in the Ohio Valley Conference semifinals on Friday night at 8 p.m. ET at Skyhawk Field.
WHAT TO KNOW
– EKU (8-7-4) advanced past No. 5 SIUE in penalty kicks last Sunday in a quarterfinals match in Richmond. The match ended as a 0-0 tie.
– Freshman goalkeeper Zoe Aguirre stopped SIUE’s final PK attempt to seal it. It was Aguirre’s sixth shutout of the season.
– Junior Erin Torrence paces the Colonels offensively. Torrence ranks third in the OVC in goals (nine) and points (22). Both are EKU single-season records.
– This is EKU’s third consecutive trip to the OVC semifinals.
SCOUTING THE OPPONENT
– UT Martin (14-2-1) has been fairly dominant during OVC play. The Skyhawks are ranked eighth in the United Soccer Coaches (USC) South Region poll.
– UTM features a high-powered offense. The Skyhawks lead the OVC in goals, assists and shots during conference play.
– Amy McGivern leads the UT Martin attack with 13 goals on the year.
– EKU led UTM, 1-0, for a majority of the teams’ regular season matchup on October 19 in Martin. It was only after a red card in the 70th minute put the Colonels at a 10-11 disadvantage that the Skyhawks scored three late goals to seize the victory.
– UT Martin leads the all-time series with EKU, 8-6-1; however, the Colonels had won three straight over the Skyhawks before the regular season loss on October 19.
– This will be the third meeting between EKU and UT Martin in the OVC Tournament. In Eastern’s first-ever postseason appearance in 2008, the Colonels fell to the Skyhawks in penalty kicks in the semifinals in Murray, Kentucky. UTM beat EKU, 4-0, in a first-round matchup in 2011.
The winner of Friday night’s game will be play the winner of No. 2 Murray State/No. 3 Eastern Illinois for an OVC title on Sunday at 3 p.m. ET.
— www.EKUSports.com ––
Associate Director of EKUSports Communications