The Northern Kentucky University men’s soccer team fell to UIC on Friday by a final score of 3-0. The Flames move to 11-5-1 on the year and 5-2-1 in the Horizon League. With the loss, NKU ends the season at 10-7 and 3-5 in league play.
“It’s certainly not the outcome that anyone wanted this evening and is tough to digest right now,” said NKU head coach Stu Riddle. “I’d like to congratulate an incredible group of seniors on their terrific careers that have seen them break nearly every program Division I record. I trust and believe in the returning players and know we will improve again next season and beyond.”
BETWEEN THE POSTS
- Jim Barkei played the full 90 minutes and made six saves. The NKU defense also recorded a team save in the contest.
FIRST HALF SUMMARY
- Calvin Murphy recorded a shot on goal in the fifth minute, but it was saved by UIC’s goalkeeper.
- UIC responded with a shot on goal in the ninth minute, but Barkei stopped the shot.
- In the 13th minute, Barkei made another save on a shot by UIC’s Max Todd.
- Todd also had a shot on goal in the 14th minute, but the Norse defense made a team save on the play to prevent him from scoring.
- Rikard Lindqvist took a shot on goal in the 21st minute. However, UIC’s goalkeeper saved the attempt.
- Alex Willis put a shot on goal in the 31st minute, but UIC’s goalkeeper deflected the shot out of bounds for a corner kick.
- UIC went ahead 1-0 in the 44th minute. A corner kick was played into the box, the ball ricocheted, and Jacob Graiber put a hard shot into the back of the net for the Flames.
SECOND HALF SUMMARY
- Willis had a shot saved just 49 seconds into the second half.
- Oscar Gonzalez scored for UIC in the 47th minute. He found some space in the box and slipped his shot into the goal to put the Flames ahead 2-0.
- The Norse were forced to play with 10 men after a red card was issued in the 55th minute.
- Moments later, Todd blasted a free kick from 25 yards out into the back of the net to extend the UIC lead to 3-0.
- Barkei made a save on a shot by UIC’s Markell Saddler in the 61st minute.
- In the 64th minute, Barkei stopped a shot by UIC’s Jesus Perez.
- Barkei recorded another save on a shot by Josiah Ash in the 73rd minute.
- Perez took a shot for UIC in the 78th minute, but Barkei was there to make the save.
- UIC had a 15-11 shot advantage in the match.
- The Flames improve to 7-0 on their home field.
- NKU ends the season at 10-7 overall. The 10 wins are the most for the program in the Division I era.
Northern Kentucky University
Athletic Communications Graduate Assistant