Drew McDonald scored 23 points and became the all-time leading rebounder in NKU history, but a late shot by EKU lifted the Colonels past the Norse on Saturday evening, 76-74. EKU moves to 6-4 on the year, while NKU falls to 8-3.
- McDonald scored 23 points and added six rebounds and five assists.
- Tyler Sharpe recorded 18 points on the night.
- Zaynah Robinson chipped in 14 points, four rebounds and three assists.
- Dantez Walton had seven points, nine rebounds and three assists.
- Chris Vogt scored six points and had a career-high 12 rebounds
- With the score tied 74-74, the Colonels’ Nick Mayo hit a jumper with 0.4 seconds left to give EKU the 76-74 win.
FIRST HALF SUMMARY
- McDonald became the all-time leading rebounder in NKU history when he grabbed an offensive rebound with 17:36 remaining in the half.
- Both teams got off to a slow start offensively, as neither scored in the first 2:45 of the game.
- The first half of action was a defensive battle, and NKU and EKU went into halftime tied at 29-29.
- The Norse shot 10-of-28 (35.7 percent) on field goals.
- NKU held EKU to 11-of-36 (30.6 percent) shooting from the floor and 0-of-12 on three-pointers.
- Walton led the Norse with seven points, while Robinson, Sharpe and McDonald added five. Vogt recorded four points and nine rebounds.
- Each team had 24 rebounds.
SECOND HALF SUMMARY
- After an EKU bucket, NKU went on an 8-0 run to take a 37-31 lead. McDonald had six points in the run with an old-fashioned three-point play and a three-pointer.
- EKU battled back and went ahead 47-42 with 13:10 remaining.
- The Colonels maintained a lead until Sharpe hit back-to-back three-pointers to put the Norse in front 58-57 with 8:00 to play.
- EKU took a 70-66 lead with 3:29 left in the contest, but a layup by McDonald and a jumper by Robinson tied the game at 70-70.
- McDonald’s bucket from close to the basket gave the Norse a 74-72 lead with 1:01 to play.
- A pair of free throws by EKU tied the contest at 74-74, and the Colonels’ Mayo hit a shot with 0.4 seconds left to give EKU the 76-74 win.
- NKU shot 28-of-66 (42.4 percent) in the contest.
- The Colonels went 23-of-60 (38.3 percent) from the floor and just 5-of-20 (25.0 percent) on three-pointers.
- The Norse had a 38-28 advantage in points in the paint. NKU also outrebounded EKU 43-40.
- The game featured eight ties and 14 lead changes.
- The Norse host Miami (Ohio) on Sunday, Dec. 16. Tipoff is scheduled for 7 p.m. at BB&T Arena, and the game will be broadcast live on Fox Sports Ohio.
Northern Kentucky University
Athletic Communications Graduate Assistant