(Three Saints reached double figure scoring today (Sunday, December 30, 2018) as the second-ranked Thomas More University women’s basketball team defeated in-state rival Centre College, 81-51, at the Connor Convocation Center in Crestview Hills, Kentucky. The Saints improve to 18-0 and the Colonels fall to 8-4.
· Thomas More led 17-13 after one quarter and out-scored the Colonels 23-9 in the second quarter to extend the lead to 40-22 at halftime.
· The Saints shot 57.1 percent (16-of-28) from the field in the first half, including 69.2 percent (nine-of-13) in the second quarter.
· Senior guard Madison Temple (Cincinnati, Ohio/Anderson) led all scorers in the opening half with 10 points and had three assists.
· Junior forward Emily Schultz (Melbourne, Ky./Bishop Brossart) pulled down five rebounds.
· Sophomore guard Briana McNutt (Maysville, Ky./Mason County) scored eight points in the opening half.
· Thomas More led 60-43 after three quarters and used a 21-8 advantage in the fourth quarter to post the 81-51 victory.
· The Saints shot 51.7 percent (15-of-29) from the field in the second half.
· In the half, Thomas More had a 20-8 advantage in the paint and 10-2 on second chance points.
· Temple had 18 points in the second half.
· Senior forward Shelby Rupp (Milan, Ind./Batesville) poured in 10 points and pulled down five rebounds in the second half.
· Thomas More shot 54.4 percent (31-of-54) from the field and shot 92.9 percent (13-of-14) from the free-throw line.
· The Saints had a 38-16 advantage in the paint, 22-14 off turnovers and 16-4 on second chance points.
· Thomas More out-rebounded Centre, 31-21.
· Temple led all scorers with 28 points, while dishing out four assists and pulling down five rebounds.
· Rupp was named the Jimmy John’s Player of the Game as she had 16 points, a team-high eight rebounds and had one steal.
· McNutt finished the game with 11 points.
· Schultz pulled down seven rebounds and had six points.
· Temple was honored prior to tip-off for setting the Thomas More women’s basketball career scoring record on December 28.
· Thomas More returns to action on Wednesday (January 2, 2019) when it hosts future Mid-South Athletic Conference foe the University of Pikeville.
· Tip-off is scheduled for 6 p.m. at the Connor Convocation Center.
Assistant Athletic Director – Compliance and Communication
Thomas More University