The University of Louisville women’s tennis team captured the doubles point before sweeping all six positions in singles to defeat Eastern Michigan 7-0 on Friday afternoon at Bass-Rudd Tennis Center.
“Many times when we have a big match ahead of us, the worry is that we will not focus on the task at hand and we did not do that on this particular day.” UofL head coach Mark Beckham said after the win. “We didn’t do that so I am pretty happy about that. We handled business today. One of the things I preach is to be efficient and have no wasted energy, don’t give up random games and put unnecessary miles on your body. It’s a running theme with me and they got that today. It got tricky in doubles but found a way to win points and stay ahead. We were down 4-0 on court one and fought back to lead 5-4 bur did not finish that match after we clinched. Overall, once again we are in a pretty good place and we have to get ready for the biggest test of the year.”
The Cardinals captured the doubles point, with Louisville’s No. 2 team of Olivia Boesing and Sena Suswam topping Maria Paula Ribero and Ani Gogvadze, 6-2. The No. 3 team of Ariana Rodriguez and Jessie Paul sealed the doubles point over Anna Veleva and Renu Sharma, 6-2. The No. 1 team of Abbie Pahz and Mariana Humberg did not finish their match against Andrea Martinovska and Marie Mayerova, 5-4.
Louisville continued the momentum into the singles competition with Mariana Humberg defeating Andrea Martinovska, 6-0, 6-0, on No. 2. At. No. 6, Ariana Rodriguez defeated Alejandra Barcelo, 6-1, 6-2, while Abbie Pahz defeated Ani Gogvadze, 6-4, 6-1, at No. 3. No. 5 Olivia Boesing took down Anna Veleva, 6-4, 6-3, before Tiffany Huber defeated Maria Paula Ribero, 6-3, 7-5, at No. 4. Aleksandra Mally completed the sweep of the Eagles at No. 1, taking down Marie Mayerova, 6-3, 7-6 (3).
LOUISVILLE 7, Eastern Michigan 0
1. Abbie Pahz/Mariana Humberg (LOU) vs. Andrea Martinovska/Marie Mayerova (EMU) 5-4
2. Olivia Boesing/Sena Suswam (LOU) def. Maria Paula Ribero/Ani Gogvadze (EMU) 6-2
3. Ariana Rodriguez/Jessie Paul (LOU) def. Anna Veleva/Renu Sharma (EMU) 6-2
1. Aleksandra Mally (LOU) def. Marie Mayerova (EMU) 6-3, 7-6 (3)
2. Mariana Humberg (LOU) def. Andrea Martinovska (EMU) 6-0, 6-0
3. Abbie Pahz (LOU) def. Ani Gogvadze (EMU) 6-4, 6-1
4. Tiffany Huber (LOU) def. Maria Paula Ribero (EMU) 6-3, 7-5
5. Olivia Boesing (LOU) def. Anna Veleva (EMU) 6-4, 6-3
6. Ariana Rodriguez (LOU) def. Alejandra Barcelo (EMU) 6-1, 6-2
Order of finish: Doubles (2, 3, 1-unf); Singles (2,6,3,5,4,1)
Nancy Allison Worley
Associate Director, Sports Information
University of Louisville Athletics