The University of Louisville women’s tennis team took the doubles point and five of the singles matches to beat a shorthanded Miami University team 6-1 on Sunday afternoon at the Bass-Rudd Tennis Center.
“It was good to see that this team had a lot of confidence,” said UofL head coach Mark Beckham. “They were able to put the loss to Georgia State behind them and come out and put in a good performance today. I think this team is going to win of lot of matches and do a lot of good things. Good to see us adapt with our changes in the doubles lineup and still able to get that point. Everybody played well in singles, so I feel like it is exactly what we needed.”
The MU doubles team of Nelli Ponomareva and Anastasiia Vasiukhina defeated Abbie Pahz and Mariana Humberg 6-4. At the No.2 spot Louisville’s Ariana Rodriguez and Sena Suswam cruised past Emily Struble and Anzhelika Shapovalova 6-2. The No. 3 spot was forfeited by Miami University giving the win to Cardinals Tiffany Huber and Aleksandra Mally to give the Cardinals the doubles point.
At the No. 1 spot in the singles competition, Aleksandra Mally outlasted Anzhelika Shapovalova 6-3, 7-6 (5). Sena Suswam won the first set against Nelli Ponomareva but was defeated at No.2 6-1, 6-7 (4), 10-6. In the No. 3 spot, Louisville’s Mariana Humberg beat Emily Struble 6-3, 6-4. Abbie Pahz was victorious over Anastasiia Vasiukhina on the No. 4 spot with a 6-2,6-1 win. Finally, at No. 5 Tiffany Huber toppled Abby Braddy 6-0,6-1. No. 6 Ariana Rodriguez won by default.
Tennis Match Results
Miami University vs LOUISVILLE
Feb 12, 2017 at Louisville, Ky.
(Bass-Rudd Tennis Center)
LOUISVILLE 6, Miami University 1
1. Aleksandra Mally (LOU) def. A. Shapovalova (MIAMI) 6-3, 7-5 (7-5)
2. Nelli Ponomareva (MIAMI) def. Sena Suswam (LOU) 6-1, 7-6 (10-7), 10-6
3. Mariana Humberg (LOU) def. Emily Struble (MIAMI) 6-3, 6-4
4. Abbie Pahz (LOU) def. A. Vasiukhina (MIAMI) 6-2, 6-1
5. Tiffany Huber (LOU) def. Abby Braddy (MIAMI) 6-0, 6-1
6. Ariana Rodriguez (LOU) def. No player (MIAMI), by forfeit
1. Nelli Ponomareva/A. Vasiukhina (MIAMI) def. Abbie Pahz/Mariana Humberg (LOU) 6-4
2. Ariana Rodriguez/Sena Suswam (LOU) def. Emily Struble/A. Shapovalova (MIAMI) 6-2
3. Tiffany Huber/Aleksandra Mally (LOU) def. No player/No player (MIAMI), by forfeit
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (6,4,5,3,1,2)
Nancy Allison Worley
Associate Director, Sports Information