It was about as close as it could get, but the Eastern Kentucky University women’s tennis team came up short in a 4-3 loss at Bethune-Cookman University on Tuesday.
The Colonels (4-6) suffered a 7-6 loss at No. 1 doubles that gave the doubles point to BCU. Eastern then had a three-set setback in the final match of the day.
After dropping the doubles point, Eastern won three singles matches, including one by default. Kristina Lagoda knocked off Deborah Bravo, 7-5 and 6-3, at No. 2 singles. Marina Marti beat Phatsimo Ruele, 6-2 and 6-4, at No. 5 singles.
The match came down to No. 1 singles where Laura Argente rebounded from a 6-4 loss in the first set to beat Mina Matsuba 6-3 in the second set. Matsuba held off the comeback attempt with a 6-2 win in the third set.
The Colonels will be in action at home this weekend for a pair of Ohio Valley Conference matches. EKU will host Southeast Missouri on Friday at noon and Tennessee-Martin on Saturday at 11 a.m. Both matches are expected to be played on the EKU outdoor courts.
Bethune-Cookman University 4, Eastern Kentucky University 3
1. MATSUBA,Mina (BCU) def. Laura Argente (EKU) 6-4, 3-6, 6-2
2. Kristina Lagoda (EKU) def. BRAVO,Deborah (BCU) 7-5, 6-3
3. ROKI,Matea (BCU) def. Viktorija Demcenkova (EKU) 6-7, 6-4, 6-2
4. VIDAL,Alejandra (BCU) def. Sagung Putri Dwinta (EKU) 7-6, 6-4
5. Marina Marti (EKU) def. RUELE,Phatsimo (BCU) 6-2, 6-4
6. Margaux Lacroix (EKU) def. No player (BCU), by default
1. MATSUBA,Mina/BRAVO,Deborah (BCU) def. Kristina Lagoda/Viktorija Demcenkova (EKU) 7-6
2. ROKI,Matea/VIDAL,Alejandra (BCU) def. Laura Argente/Raquel Montalvo (EKU) 7-5
3. Sagung Putri Dwinta/Marina Marti (EKU) def. No player/No player (BCU), by default
Eastern Kentucky University 4-6
Bethune-Cookman University 4-7
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1*); Singles (6,5,2,4,3,1*)
Official: Jack Crutchfield
— www.EKUSports.com —
Assistant Athletics Director for Communications & Branding