Eastern Kentucky University’s women’s tennis team opened Ohio Valley Conference play with a 4-3 victory over Southeast Missouri State on Friday at the Greg Adams Indoor Tennis Center.
The Colonels (5-6, 1-0 OVC) got off to a good start by sweeping the doubles matches. Kristina Lagoda and Viktorija Demcenkova clinched the doubles point with a 6-3 victory at No. 1 doubles.
“We played our best doubles of the year,” Eastern Kentucky Head Coach Rob Oertel said. “Our setup and execution on put-away was as efficient as it has been all year. It was a great way to get started in the match by getting the doubles point.”
EKU stretched its lead to 3-0 with straight set singles victories by Demcenkova (No. 3) and Sagung Putri Dwinta (No. 4). However, the Redhawks won at No. 1 and No. 2 doubles to close the gap to 3-2.
Margaux Lacroix clinched the match for the Colonels with a 6-4 and 6-2 win at No. 6 singles.
“Margaux really handled the pressure well and looked like she enjoyed being in the position to win the match,” Oertel said. “It’s important to enjoy the crunch time pressure. Everyone was watching her match and she enjoyed the moment.”
Southeast Missouri falls to 8-4 on the season and 0-1 in conference matches.
“That’s the best SEMO team I’ve seen in 16 years in the OVC,” said Oertel. “Coach Mary Beth Gunn is doing a great job. I’ll be surprised if this team is not in the OVC Tournament.”
Eastern will close out a two-match OVC home stand on Saturday against OVC preseason favorite Tennessee-Martin. The match will be played inside the Greg Adams Tennis Center starting at 11 a.m.
Eastern Kentucky University 4, Southeast Missouri 3
1. KRUPA, Isabella (SEMO) def. Kristina Lagoda (EKU) 6-2, 3-6, 6-0
2. DOROSHENKO, O. (SEMO) def. Laura Argente (EKU) 7-5, 6-3
3. Viktorija Demcenkova (EKU) def. ZONOVA, Kseniya (SEMO) 6-2, 7-5
4. Sagung Putri Dwinta (EKU) def. WARASANTI, Annisa (SEMO) 6-4, 6-3
5. MAJTAN, Mila (SEMO) def. Marina Marti (EKU) 6-4, 6-4
6. Margaux Lacroix (EKU) def. EMELIE, Anais (SEMO) 6-4, 6-2
1. Kristina Lagoda/Viktorija Demcenkova (EKU) def. KRUPA, Isabella/DOROSHENKO, O. (SEMO) 6-3
2. Laura Argente/Sagung Putri Dwinta (EKU) def. ZONOVA, Kseniya/EMELIE, Anais (SEMO) 6-1
3. Marina Marti/Raquel Montalvo (EKU) def. MAJTAN, Mila/CANAHUATE-TORRES, A. (SEMO) 6-2
Southeast Missouri 8-4 (0-1 OVC)
Eastern Kentucky University 5-6 (1-0 OVC)
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1*,3); Singles (3,4,1,2,6*,5)
Official: Ron Murphy
— www.EKUSports.com —
Assistant Athletics Director for Communications & Branding