Sophomore Brandon Lancaster’s 2-6, 6-1, 6-1 win over Zak Khan sealed the victory as the University of Louisville men’s tennis team defeated Belmont 5-2 Sunday evening at the Bass-Rudd Tennis Center. With their second win in Sunday’s doubleheader, the Cardinals move to 13-4 on the season.
Belmont grabbed the doubles point with wins on courts two and three. The Cards gained an early advantage on court one where the 22nd-ranked duo of senior Sean Donohue and freshman Parker Wynn defeated Cedric Dujacquier and Hendrik Inno 6-3 to improve their record to 18-1 on the season. The Bruins countered with Zak Khan and Stephan Goldman’s 6-3 win over sophomore Christopher Morin-Kougoucheff and junior Ciro Lampasas at No. 2. The first point of the match was decided on court three which featured a battle between the Cardinal tandem of sophomore George Hedley and freshman Fredrik Moe and Bruno Russo and Vincent Sterkens. After trading games throughout most of the match, the Belmont pair eventually prevailed 7-5.
In singles action, Lampasas cruised to a 6-0, 6-1 win against Goldman on court five to even the score at 1-1. Rouanet defeated Inno 6-2, 6-1 at No. 3 to put the Cards up 2-1.
The Bruins answered on court one where Dujacquier beat Morin-Kougoucheff 6-2, 6-3, but Wynn quickly pushed the Cards ahead 3-2 with his 6-4, 6-2 victory over Sterkens at the two-spot.
On court four, Lancaster lost his first set 6-2 to Khan, but rebounded to win the next two sets 6-1, 6-1 for the decisive fourth point.
Meanwhile on court six, freshman Clement Filho and Russo traded 6-4 wins in the first two sets to force a third set. Filho was leading 5-1 when the match was decided and went on to stake a 6-1 win.
Louisville (13-4) will return to action on March 31 when the Cards play host to Arkansas Pine-Bluff and Duquesne.
#34 Louisville Men’s Tennis 5, Belmont 2
Mar 26, 2017 at Louisville, Ky.
(Bass-Rudd Tennis Center)
1. Cedric Dujacquier (BELM) def. C. Morin-Kougoucheff (LOU) 6-2, 6-3
2. Parker Wynn (LOU) def. Vincent Sterkens (BELM) 6-4, 6-2
3. Nicolas Rouanet (LOU) def. Hendrik Inno (BELM) 6-2, 6-1
4. Brandon Lancaster (LOU) def. Zak Khan (BELM) 2-6, 6-1, 6-1
5. Ciro Lampasas (LOU) def. Stephen Goldman (BELM) 6-0, 6-1
6. Clement Filho (LOU) def. Bruno Russo (BELM) 6-4, 4-6, 6-1
1. #22 Sean Donohue/Parker Wynn (LOU) def. Cedric Dujacquier/Hendrik Inno (BELM) 6-3
2. Zak Khan/Stephen Goldman (BELM) def. C. Morin-Kougoucheff/Ciro Lampasas (LOU) 6-3
3. Bruno Russo/Vincent Sterkens (BELM) def. George Hedley/Fredrik Moe (LOU) 7-5
Louisville Men’s Tennis 13-4; National ranking #34
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (5,3,1,2,4,6)
Assistant Sports Information Director
University of Louisville Athletics