The University of Louisville women’s tennis team fell 4-2 to Wake Forest in a hard-fought match to bow out of the 2017 ACC Tennis Championship Friday night in Rome, Ga.
“This was a really close match,” said UofL head coach Mark Beckham. “We just couldn’t quite get through the finish line. We were battling from behind the whole time and almost pulled it off. We were way up at No. 6 singles but the Wake Forest player competed like crazy and found a way to steal it from us. If we win that match, it would have come down to Mariana Humberg at No. 3 and we had a good chance to win that one. It just wasn’t meant to be. We fought and competed as hard as we could but it just wasn’t our day.”
The Cardinals dropped the doubles point when the No. 1 pair of Abbie Pahz and Mariana Humberg fell 6-2 to Kimmy Guerin and Anna Ulyashchenko. At that point, UofL was tied at two at both the No. 2 and No. 3 slots. The two teams tied again at 6-6. But the Deacons rallied at the No. 2 spot when Elle Stokes and Jessie Paul fell 7-6 to Chandler Carter and Courtney Meredith. The score was tied at six at the No. 3 position between the Cardinal duo of Aleksandra Mally and Ariana Rodriguez and Wake’s Emma Davis and Luisa Fernandez when play was suspended.
In singles, the Cardinals evened the score when Abbie Pahz rolled over WFU’s Samantha Assch 6-0, 6-3. Wake Forest struck back when Aleksandra Mally fell 6-4, 6-3 at No. 1 to Kimmy Guerin. Cardinal Tiffany Huber fell 6-2, 7-5 to Chandler Carter at No. 5. Senior Elle Stokes dropped her first set 6d -2, then won the set 6-4 and took the third 6-2 for UofL’s other point. The match was clinched when Luisa Fernandez outlasted Olivia Boesing 4-6, 7-5, 6-4. The unfinished match at No. 3 between Mariana Humberg and WFU’s Anna Ulyashchenko was tied at three in the third set when play was suspended.
Tennis Match Results
LOUISVILLE vs Wake Forest
Apr 27, 2017 at Rome Tennis Center at Berry College
Wake Forest 4, LOUISVILLE 2
1. Kimmy Guerin (WF) def. Aleksandra Mally (LOU) 6-4, 6-3
2. Elle Stokes (LOU) def. Emma Davis (WF) 2-6, 6-4, 6-2
3. Mariana Humberg (LOU) vs. Anna Ulyashchenko (WF) no result
4. Abbie Pahz (LOU) def. Samantha Asch (WF) 6-0, 6-3
5. Chandler Carter (WF) def. Tiffany Huber (LOU) 6-2, 7-5
6. Luisa Fernandez (WF) def. Olivia Boesing (LOU) 4-6, 7-5, 6-4
1. Kimmy Guerin/Anna Ulyashchenko (WF) def. Abbie Pahz/Mariana Humberg (LOU) 6-2
2. Chandler Carter/Courtney Meredith (WF) def. Jessie Paul/Elle Stokes (LOU) 7-6 (7-3)
3. Aleksandra Mally/Ariana Rodriguez (LOU) vs. Emma Davis/Luisa Fernandez (WF) no result
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2); Singles (4,1,5,2,6)
ACC Women’s Tennis Championship Round 2
Nancy Allison Worley
Associate Director, Sports Information
University of Louisville Athletics