The Northern Kentucky women’s golf team weathered a tough stretch, but recovered to finish just one stroke off the lead with 18 holes remaining in the Horizon League Championship.
· Playing in the last group of the day with Youngstown State and Oakland, Northern Kentucky battled its way to a 318 and finds itself trailing Cleveland State by a mere one shot.
· The Vikings posted the low round of the tournament, carding a 302.
· NKU recovered from a difficult front nine and used a strong closing stretch with four birdies and 15 pars over the final five holes to pull three shots clear of YSU in third place and six ahead of Oakland in fourth.
· Sophomore Macy Wright, who led last year’s tournament following the first and second days en route to a fourth-place finish and all-tournament selection, had the low round of the day for NKU after posting a 76. Wright used 13 pars, a birdie and only four holes over par to secure her 4-over.
· Allison Leigeb only had one hole get away from her in an other-wise solid round. The senior carded a 77 thanks to 13 pars and a birdie on the 18th. Leigeb enters the final round five strokes off the lead in third.
· Shelby Power carded an 82 for the third countable score of the day for NKU, while Ryleigh Waltz posted an 83.
· Waltz’s round was symbolic of NKU’s day. The senior struggled through the first 13 holes, but rebounded to finish birdie, birdie, par, par and par.
2. Northern Kentucky – 304-318-622
3. Allison Leigeb – 72-77-152
9. Macy Wright – 80-76-156
t14. Ryleigh Waltz – 76-83-159
t17. Shelby Power – 78-82-160
t20. Sarah Kellam – 78-85-163
Northern Kentucky heads back to the course for the third and final round starting at 9:10 Tuesday morning. The Norse will be paired with Cleveland State and Youngstown State. Live stats are available via GolfStat.com.
Join the Uprising!
Assistant Athletic Director
Communications and Media Services
Northern Kentucky University