The Eastern Kentucky soccer team will go head-to-head with Xavier on Friday night in Cincinnati. Game time from the Xavier Soccer Complex is scheduled for 7 p.m.
WHAT TO KNOW
– EKU (1-2-1) won its first game of the year, 3-2, in dramatic fashion on Sunday at IUPUI.
– Senior forward Jordan Foster scored a golden goal in the 108th minute to lead the Colonels to the thrilling, double-OT victory.
– It was Foster’s second goal in as many games, and the fifth game-winner of her career.
– It was also EKU’s first double-overtime win since Devon Saini’s game-winner lifted the Colonels over Miami (Ohio) in 2011.
– Senior Emmi Carroll scored off a free kick in the 75th minute at IUPUI to tie the game and force overtime. It was her second goal of the season, and both have come off free kicks.
– Freshman Sarah Owusu has only played in two games so far this season, but has made an impact in both. The native of Brampton, Ontario assisted Foster on a goal at Kentucky on Thursday, and then scored the Colonels’ first goal of the game at IUPUI on Sunday. Junior Idalys Rea and sophomore Monica Rios were credited with the assist on Owusu’s goal.
SCOUTING THE OPPONENT
– Xavier (2-1-1) is coming off a 1-1 draw against Pittsburgh.
– Freshman Sydney Schembri scored her second goal of the season against the Panthers.
– The Musketeers are averaging almost 11 shots per game, with a .605 on goal percentage.
– EKU is 1-5-1 all-time against Xavier, with the Colonels’ lone win in the series coming back in 2010. The Musketeers defeated the Colonels, 2-0, last August in Richmond.
– The Colonels will play their first home game of the season when they take on Gardner-Webb on Friday, September 8. Game time is scheduled for 4 p.m.
— www.EKUSports.com —
Associate Director of EKUSports Communications