The 15th-ranked University of Louisville field hockey team prevailed in a shootout to beat No. 11 Wake Forest 3-2 in a thrilling ACC matchup Friday evening at Trager Stadium. The Cardinals improve to 5-4 and 1-1 in conference play. The Demon Deacons drop to 4-4 (2-1).

“Anytime we play against Wake Forest, it’s an incredible contest,” said UofL head coach Justine Sowry. “They’re incredibly skillful, they’re fast, they’re athletic, and we knew that it was going to be a great contest. We really tried to emphasize over the last week or so to trust the process. It’s been a hard ride, so we need to just plug away and stick to our identity and whatever goals we are setting and we did that throughout the game. We were able to connect better and defended better together. Wake Forest is a great opponent, so when it went into overtime, you saw the guts and the resilience and the fight, so I’m happy to come out with the win.”

Sophomore Minout Mink scored a goal in the second half and sealed the win by converting her shootout attempt. Junior goalkeeper Ayeisha McFerran collected five saves and stopped three Wake Forest shootout attempts to earn the win.

In the game Wake Forest outshot Louisville 15-12 and held a 9-3 advantage in corners, including three in the second overtime period.

Senior Marigrace Ragsdale gave the Cardinals a 1-0 lead midway through the first half when she connected on junior Katie Walsh’s feed from the left side of the cage to notch her third goal of the season.

Wake Forest answered with 1:15 remaining in the first half when Jule Grashoff delivered a shot from the middle of the circle to even the score.

The teams entered halftime with two penalty corners apiece and with Louisville owning an 8-4 edge in shots.

Ten minutes into the second half, sophomore Whena Munn sent a pass to Mink who powered a shot past Wake goalkeeper Isla Bint to push Louisville ahead 2-1.

Once again the Demon Deacons countered, this time with a penalty corner goal by Anne van Hoof with assists from Meghan Murphy and Shannon Eby.

With the game knotted at 2-2 at the end of regulation, the teams entered a 7v7, sudden victory overtime period in which each team delivered three shots and earned one corner.

The score remained tied, forcing a second overtime period in which the Cardinals held off a charging Demon Deacon attack that held a 6-0 advantage in shots and a 3-0 edge in penalty corners. McFerran picked up two saves and junior Taylor Stone had a defensive save to hold Wake Forest at bay, sending the game into a shootout.

In the best-of-five shootout, freshman Meghan Schneider converted on the Cardinals’ first attempt and Mink nailed the Cardinals’ fourth try to secure the win. McFerran stymied three of the Wake Forest attempt and another sailed wide and the Cardinals prevailed in the shootout by a margin of 2-0.

The Cardinals will return to action on Sunday when they face No. 13 James Madison at 12 p.m.

Lori Korte
Assistant Sports Information Director
University of Louisville Athletics


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here