The Northern Kentucky men’s soccer team fell to Green Bay at home on Friday night by a score of 1-0. The Phoenix scored a goal in the 103rd minute of the second overtime period. With tonight’s results from other Horizon League matches, Northern Kentucky has been eliminated from postseason play.
“Congratulations to Green Bay, who have proven to be deserving Horizon League winners this season,” said NKU head coach Stu Riddle. “I’m very proud of the progress that we’ve made since January and know that we have gained a good level of credibility back amongst our peers. I’d like to thank the players and especially the seniors for their dedication and commitment to the program.”
BETWEEN THE POSTS
· Jim Barkei played the entire match in goal for NKU and had two saves on the night. His record on the season finished at 7-6-4.
FIRST HALF SUMMARY
· Rikard Lindqvist took a shot in the first minute, but it went wide right.
· At the 10-minute mark, Green Bay’s Audi Jepsen took a shot on goal, but Barkei was there to make the save.
· A shot taken by Tom Suchecki in the 27th minute went wide left.
· Felix Komolong took a shot of his own in the 32nd minute, but the Green Bay defense blocked the attempt.
· Harvey Moyes tried to score in the 32nd minute, but his attempt was wide left.
· Alex Greive forced Green Bay’s Nikola Kahvedzic to make a save in the 39th minute on a header attempt.
SECOND HALF SUMMARY
· At the 52nd minute, Tomer Zloczower took a shot, which was blocked by the NKU defense.
· Jepson had an open look at net in the 55th minute, but his shot was high of the frame.
· A header taken by Brett Wilson in the 61st minute of play was saved by Green Bay’s Kahvedzic.
· Komolong had a header attempt for NKU in the 65th minute of the match, but it was just high of the crossbar.
· Greive took another shot in the 74th minute, but the Green Bay defense blocked the attempt and cleared the ball from danger.
· NKU played a long free kick into the box in the 79th minute. The ball fell to the ground, and Dylan Carss was able to get a shot off. However, the Green Bay defense blocked the attempt.
· In the 87th minute, Calvin Murphy had his shot attempt blocked
· Harvey Moyes also had a shot in the 87th minute, but he pushed it wide right.
· Moyes had a header attempt for NKU with just over 30 seconds remaining in the first overtime period, but the shot was just high of the frame.
· Green Bay earned a free kick outside of the box in the 103rd minute of the contest.
· Tomer Zloczower stepped up to take the kick, and he fired his shot to the left corner. The ball bounced off the bottom of the crossbar and just crossed over the goal line to give the Phoenix the 1-0 victory.
· The Norse improved their win total by six matches over last season’s results. In addition, NKU’s point total rose from eight to 25.
· The Norse finished 3-4-2 in the Horizon League this season.
· NKU finished with eight shutouts 2017, which as of tonight, ranked 10th in NCAA Division I.
NKU Athletics would like to thank seniors Christian Carey, Dylan Carss, Campbell Morris, and Brett Wilson for their outstanding contributions to the men’s soccer program.
Northern Kentucky University
Athletic Communications Graduate Assistant