The Eastern Kentucky University women’s basketball team looks to go on the road and knock off the UT Martin Skyhawks Thursday night. Game time is scheduled for 6:30 p.m. ET.
WHAT TO KNOW
– The Colonels (5-8, 2-2 OVC) defeated Eastern Illinois in convincing fashion, 67-51, Saturday afternoon in McBrayer Arena. The Colonels were up 22-4 after one quarter of play and held the Panthers to just 28 percent shooting.
– Bria Bass earned OVC Freshman of the Week after scoring a career-high 25 points against Eastern Illinois. She was 5-of-8 from behind the arc and finished 6-of-8 from the free throw line. As of January 6, Bass is third among freshman in the OVC in scoring at 11.2 points per game.
– A’Queen Hayes secured her fourth OVC Newcomer of the Week award after averaging 23 points per game and 13.5 rebounds per game against SIUE and Eastern Illinois. The Ole Miss transfer scored 20 points and pulled down a career-high 16 rebounds in the Colonels win over Eastern Illinois.
SCOUTING THE OPPONENT
– UT Martin (6-10, 2-2 OVC) recently defeated Murray State, 97-80, on Jan. 6.
– Kendall Spray leads the way for the Skyhawk’s, averaging 17.3 points a night. Janekia Mason and Chelsey Perry lead Martin on the glass, grabbing 4.9 and 4.8 boards per game respectively.
– UT Martin scores 72.1 points per game, but allows its opponents to score 70.5 points and shoot 45 percent from the field. In addition, the Skyhawks force their opponents into 18.6 turnovers a night and block nearly four shots (3.8).
– The Colonels lead the all-time series with UT Martin, 31-21. However, the Eastern dropped the latest matchup, 66-56 last season at Martin.
– The Colonels will travel west to take on Southeast Missouri on Saturday. Game time is scheduled for 3:00 p.m. ET.
— www.EKUSports.com —
Assistant Athletics Director for Communications & Branding