Northern Kentucky women’s tennis dropped a close decision to Arkansas State on Friday afternoon, falling 4-3 to the Red Wolves. Arkansas State picked up its first win of the season, while NKU drops to 0-3.
· NKU picked up three points with victories in the No. 1, 2 and 4 singles matches.
· Margita Sunjic quickly dismantled Shelby King in the top flight, 6-2, 6-0.
· In the No. 2 singles match, Maria Koo took down Antia Detlava, going extra games in the first set, 7-5, before a quick 6-2 second set.
· Sydney Power added a 6-1, 6-1 victory over Berta Masdevall Masip in the No. 4 singles match.
· Arkansas State took the No. 3, 5, and 6 singles matches to clinch the match. Taylor Culbertson’s match against Sabina Jeresic proved to be the deciding contest, which saw the Norse drop a 6-3, 6-4 decision as the Red Wolves claimed their fourth point.
· In doubles action, Culbertson and Koo picked up a win in the top matchup against Detlava and Masdevall Masip, 6-4. However, the Red Wolves used wins in the No. 2 and 3 doubles matches to take the opening point.
NKU takes a substantial break until Friday, Feb. 16, when the team hosts Belmont in the women’s home opener. The Norse host the Bruins at the Five Seasons Sports Club in Crestview Hills, Kentucky, with first serve scheduled for 7:30 p.m.
Arkansas State 4, NKU 3
Singles (Order of Finish: 1,6,4,5,2,3*)
1. Margita Sunjic (NKU) def. Shelby King (ASU) 6-2, 6-0
2. Maria Koo (NKU) def. Anita Detlava (ASU) 7-5, 6-2
3. Sabina Jeresic (ASU) def. Taylor Culbertson (NKU) 6-3, 6-4
4. Sydney Power (NKU) def. Berta Masdevall Masip (ASU) 6-1, 6-1
5. Shannon O’Brien (ASU) def. Hannnah Watton (NKU) 6-0, 6-3
6. Kirsty Venter (ASU) def. Alyssa DeFiglio (NKU) 6-0, 6-0
Doubles (Order of Finish: 3,1,2*)
1. Taylor Culbertson/Maria Koo (NKU) def. Anita Detlava/Berta Masdevall Masip (ASU) 6-4
2. Shelby King/Shannon O’Brien (ASU) def. Margita Sunjic/Sydney Power (NKU) 6-4
3. Kirsty Venter/Sabina Jeresic (ASU) def.. Katja Dijanezevic/Hannah Watton (NKU) 6-3
Assistant Athletic Communications Director
Northern Kentucky University