The University of Louisville men’s tennis team took the doubles point, but ultimately fell 4-1 to Virginia its first round match of the 2018 ACC Championship.
The Cardinals (15-11) opened the match by taking a highly-competitive doubles point. Virginia gained an early advantage at the two-spot where Aswin Lizen and Gianni Ross defeated juniors Christopher Morin-Kougoucheff and Federico Gomez 6-2. The Cardinals countered with a victory at No. 2 when senior Ciro Lampasas and sophomore Parker Wynn bested No. 63 Matthew Lord and Carl Soderlund 6-4. The first point of the match was decided on court three which featured a battle between the Louisville pair of junior George Hedley and sophomore Fredrik Moe and Virginia’s Ammar Alhapbani and Spencer Bozsik. The Cardinals prevailed 7-6 with a 7-5 tiebreaker decision to give the Cards a 1-0 lead.
In singles action, Virginia evened the score at No. 5 where Lord beat Hedley 6-2, 6-3. The Cavaliers took the lead as Ross defeated Gomez 6-4, 6-2 at No. 3 and gained a 3-1 advantage with Alhapbani’s 6-3, 6-4 win over junior Brandon Lancaster at the six-spot. On court one, Morin-Kougoucheff, No. 62 in the ITA singles rankings, fell 6-1 in his first set against No. 26 Soderlund, but rebounded to take the second 6-2 and force a decisive third set which Soderlund won 6-2 to clinch the match.
Court two also showcased a matchup between ranked players as No. 109 Wynn and No. 46 Lizen split sets at the No. 2 spot. Lizen notched the first set 6-1 and Wynn registered a 6-2 victory in the second. The Louisville sophomore was leading 5-3 in the third set when the match was decided. Senior Nicolas Rouanet lost his first set 6-3 to Kyrylo Tsygura and was up 5-4 in the second when the match ended.
The 2018 NCAA Men’s Tennis team selection show will take place on May 1 at 5:30 p.m. on NCAA.com with the individual selections announced on May 2.
No. 48 Virginia 4, No. 44 Louisville 1
ACC Championship Second Round
April 26, 2018 | Cary Tennis Park, Cary, N.C.
1. No. 26 Carl Soderlund (VA) def. No. 62 Christopher Morin-Kougoucheff (UL) 6-1, 2-6, 6-2
2. No. 109 Parker Wynn (UL) vs. No. 46 Aswin Lizen (VA); match was unfinished: 1-6, 6-2, 5-3
3. Gianni Ross (VA) def. Federico Gomez (UL) 6-4, 6-2
4. Nicolas Rouanet (UL) vs. Kyrylo Tsygura (VA); match was unfinished: 3-6, 5-4
5. Matthew Lord (VA) def. George Hedley (UL) 6-2, 6-3
6. Ammar Alhaqbani (VA) def. Brandon Lancaster (UL) 6-3, 6-4
1. Ciro Lampasas and Parker Wynn (UL) def. No. 63 Matthew Lord and Carl Soderlund (VA) 6-4
2. No. 34 Aswin Lizen and Gianni Ross (VA) def. Federico Gomez and C. Morin-Kougoucheff (UL) 6-2
3. George Hedley and Fredrik Moe (UL) def. Ammar Alhaqbani and Spencer Bozsik (VA) 7-6 (7-5)
Assistant Sports Information Director
University of Louisville Athletics