Northern Kentucky’s volleyball announced its 2018 schedule on Monday afternoon. The Norse will play in four preseason tournaments on the road before heading into its 16-game home-and-home slate of Horizon League contests, playing each of the League’s eight other opponents twice before the Horizon League Championship. The top six seeds will qualify for the postseason tournament, with the host site determined by the overall top seed.
· The Norse head to South Bend, Indiana, to kick off the season at the Notre Dame Invitational on Friday and Saturday, August 24-25. NKU takes on Toledo in its only game on Friday at 4 p.m., and then starts off Saturday against Weber State at 10 a.m. The Norse play the marquee match against the Fighting Irish, a 2017 NCAA Championships participant, Saturday evening at 7 p.m.
· NKU goes up against another Power Five opponent the next weekend, kicking off the Northern Illinois Invitational against Virginia at 3 p.m. CT/4 p.m. ET on Friday, August 31. Saturday pits the Norse against Nevada at 11 a.m. CT/noon ET and NIU at 7 p.m. CT/8 p.m. ET.
· From there, the Norse head to a one-day tournament in Evansville, Indiana on Saturday, September 8. NKU starts its day at 11 a.m. CT/noon ET against Austin Peay before facing host Evansville at 7 p.m. CT/8 p.m. ET.
· The final preseason tournament will be Friday-Saturday, September 14-15 at the SIUE Invitational. The Norse take on Louisiana Tech at 10:30 a.m. CT/11:30 a.m. ET on Friday, with SIUE later in the day at 6 p.m. CT/7 p.m. ET. Saturday features a 1:30 p.m. CT/2:30 p.m. ET match against Oral Roberts as the final tune-up before heading into League play.
Horizon League Highlights
· NKU opens up the Horizon League season at home, welcoming Green Bay and Milwaukee to Regents Hall on Friday and Saturday, September 21-22, respectively.
· The Norse hit the road to take on reigning Horizon League champion Cleveland State on Friday, September 28, followed by a Saturday match on the road at Oakland. NKU then travels to Youngstown State for a midweek matchup on Wednesday, Oct. 3.
· The Norse have a light weekend following their road trip, hosting UIC on Sunday, Oct. 7.
· NKU faces its travel partners, IUPUI and Wright State, on Saturday and Sunday, October 13-14, first traveling to the Jaguars before facing the Raiders on Sunday. The Norse remain on the road the following weekend as they begin the second half of the League slate, traveling to Milwaukee and Green Bay on Friday-Saturday, Oct. 19-20.
· After four matches on the road, the Norse are back home for three-straight matches. NKU faces IUPUI and Wright State for the second time in a two-week span on Saturday and Sunday, Oct. 27-28. The Norse then host Youngstown State for another midweek match with the Penguins on Wednesday, October 31.
· The Norse hit the road for the final time of the regular season on Friday, November 2, traveling to UIC. The team closes out its final weekend at home, hosting Oakland on Friday, November 9, and Cleveland State on Saturday, November 10.
· The Horizon League Championship will be held Friday-Sunday, November 16-18, with the top-seeded team playing host to the 2018 tournament.
Assistant Athletic Communications Director
Northern Kentucky University