Tristan Pompey became the second Kentucky player selected in the 2018 Major League Baseball Draft when the Miami Marlins picked him in the third round on Tuesday. The Toronto, Ontario native was selected with the 89th overall pick.
The Marlins also used the 89th overall pick in the 2017 draft to take a UK player, having selected second baseman Riley Mahan there a year ago. The organization also has former Wildcats infielder JT Riddle as its shortstop at the major league level and former Rawlings Gold Glove winner Dustin Beggs pitching for Greensboro at the A-ball level.
The 6-foot-2, 205-pounder hit .335 in 50 games this season, scoring 41 runs and driving in 39 while connecting for 20 doubles and seven home runs. He also stole a career-high 10 bases in 13 attempts and made just one error in the field. The performance came as a follow up to his incredible 2017 campaign where he hit .361 with 70 runs, 18 doubles, 10 home runs, 45 RBI, 46 walks and nine steals.
For his career, the switch hitter stroked 193 hits, which ranks 18th on the school’s all-time list. He hits a combined .321 in 165 games with 136 runs, 46 doubles, one triple, 24 home runs, 113 RBI, 99 walks, 21 stolen bases and an OPS of .947. The 46 doubles and 99 walks each rank 11th on UK’s career lists.
Pompey also is the brother of Toronto Blue Jays outfielder Dalton Pompey, who has played 64 career games with his home country club.
TRISTAN POMPEY BIO
• SEC Player of the Week (4/9/18)
• 2018 Golden Spikes Award Midseason Watch List (2018)
• 2018 Preseason First-Team All-America (Perfect Game)
• 2018 Preseason Third-Team All-America (Collegiate Baseball)
• Collegiate All-Canadian Team (Canadian Baseball Network)
• Baseball America Third-Team All-America (2017)
• Perfect Game/Rawlings Third-Team All-America (2017)
• Collegiate Baseball Third-Team All-America (2017)
• ABCA South All-Region First-Team (2017)
• First-Team All-SEC (2017)
• College Home Run Derby Participant (2017)
Follow along with the Cats on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram, and on the web at UKathletics.com.
‑ GO CATS –
For more information contact: