The Eastern Kentucky soccer team will host a pair of OVC games this weekend, as the Colonels take on UT Martin on Friday at 4 p.m. and Southeast Missouri on Sunday at 1 p.m.
WHAT TO KNOW
– EKU (4-3-2, 1-0-1 OVC) is coming off a thrilling 3-2 overtime win at in-state rival Morehead State last Sunday.
– Sophomore Marian Wolski took a cross from senior Jordan Foster and scored her first career goal in overtime to seal the win.
– Senior Emmi Carroll and redshirt junior Haley Kemper were named Ohio Valley Conference Offensive and Defensive Players of the Week on Tuesday. It is the first time EKU has had the OVC Offensive and Defensive Player of the Week in the same week since Devon Saini (Offensive) and Lauren Fant (Defensive) pulled off the achievement in August of 2011.
– Carroll scored two critical goals to lead EKU to two wins and a draw last week. She finished the week with eight shots, six of which were on goal.
– In the 63rd minute, Kemper headed in the tying goal in the Colonels’ 1-1 draw with Austin Peay last Friday. The native of Crestwood, Kentucky never left the field in Eastern’s three games last week. She is the first Colonel to win OVC Defensive Player of the Week since October of 2012.
SCOUTING THE OPPONENTS
– The UT Martin (4-5-2, 2-0-0 OVC) defense has been daunting so far during conference play. The Skyhawks blanked Jacksonville State, 1-0, and Southeast Missouri, 1-0, last weekend.
– Danae Kaldaridou leads the Skyhawks with three goals on the season.
– Katelyn Colvin has contributed five assists.
– UT Martin leads the all-time series with EKU, 7-5-1; however, the Colonels have won two straight over the Skyhawks, including a 4-2 victory in Martin last year.
– Southeast Missouri (4-5-0, 1-1-0 OVC) beat Tennessee Tech, 1-0, last Friday before falling to UTM, 1-0, on Sunday.
– Three Redhawks have scored a pair of goals on the year.
– Southeast Missouri averages one goal per game with a .487 shot-on-goal percentage.
– SEMO leads the all-time series with EKU, 8-3-1; however, the Colonels went on the road and beat the Redhawks, 2-1, last season on a golden goal by Foster in overtime.
The Colonels head west next weekend to play at Eastern Illinois (September 29) and SIUE (October 1).
— www.EKUSports.com —
Associate Director of EKUSports Communications