The University of Louisville men’s tennis team fell short against No. 42 North Carolina State in an ACC matchup at the Bass-Rudd Tennis Center on Sunday.
The Cardinals (11-13, 0-8) took an early lead with doubles wins at Nos. 2 and 3. The tandem of junior Sean Donohue and sophomore Courtney Lock cruised to a 6-1 win over Ivan Saveljic and Michael Ogden to give Louisville the early edge at the three-spot. The Wolfpack responded on court No. 1 where Simon Norenius and Thomas Weigel posted a 6-4 win over the Louisville senior duo of Jeffrey Brown and Alex Gornet. The first point of the match came down to court two where freshmen George Hedley and Christopher Morin-Kougoucheff outlasted Nick Norton and Igor Saveljic 7-6 (7-6).
In singles action, NC State (16-10) evened the score at No. 3 where Weigel picked up a 6-4, 6-2 win over Hedley. Freshman Brandon Lancaster put the Cards back on top with a 6-1, 6-3 win over Ivan Saveljic at the five-spot. But the Wolfpack answered again when Shoti Meparidze defeated Donohue 6-1, 7-6 (7-5) at No. 6 to tie the match at 2-2. At the No. 4 position, Brown lost his first set to Igor Saveljic 6-4, but came back to win 6-4 to force a third set which Saveljic took 6-3 to give NC State a 3-2 lead. The match was decided on court two where Horton edged Gornet 7-6 (7-5) in the first set and won the second 6-2. Morin-Kougoucheff wrapped up the match with a 1-6, 7-6 (7-3), 6-2 win over No. 44 Norenius for the 4-3 final.
The Cardinals return to action against Southern Illinois Sunday evening at 7 p.m.
#42 NC State 4, Louisville 3
April 3, 2016 at Louisville, Ky.
(Bass-Rudd Tennis Center)
1. Christopher Morin-Kougoucheff (LOU) def. #44 Simon Norenius (NCST) 1-6, 7-6 (7-3), 6-2
2. #77 Nick Horton (NCST) def. Alex Gornet (LOU) 7-6 (7-5), 6-2
3. #85 Thomas Weigel (NCST) def. George Hedley (LOU) 6-4, 6-2
4. Igor Saveljic (NCST) def. Jeffrey Brown (LOU) 6-4, 4-6, 6-2
5. Brandon Lancaster (LOU) def. Ivan Saveljic (NCST) 6-1, 6-3
6. Shoti Meparidze (NCST) def. Sean Donohue (LOU) 6-1, 7-6 (7-5)
Order of finish: 3,5,6,4,2,1
1. Simon Norenius/Thomas Weigel (NCST) def. Jeffrey Brown/Alex Gornet (LOU) 6-4
2. George Hedley/Christopher Morin-Kougoucheff (LOU) def. Nick Horton/Igor Saveljic (NCST) 7-6 (7-5)
3. Sean Donohue/Courtney Lock (LOU) def. Ivan Saveljic/Michael Ogden (NCST) 6-1
Order of finish: 3,1,2
NC State 16-10; National ranking #42
Louisville Men’s Tennis 11-13
Assistant Sports Information Director
University of Louisville Athletics