Eastern Kentucky University’s beach volleyball team split a pair of contests on its way to picking up the first win in program history.
The Colonels (1-9) beat Tusculum, 3-2, in the first match before falling to Carson-Newman University, 4-1, in match number two.
In match number one, the Colonels wasted no time taking the number five and number four pairing to take an early 2-0 lead. Clarissa Hankinson and Mikayla Logan won their first set 21-19, before cruising to a 21-10 victory in the second set to win the first point of the match.
In the number four pairing, Rachel Woody and Kennedy Wilson fell down early after losing the first set 21-11. They stormed back to take the second set from Lydia Collis and Catherine Clingan 21-16. Fifteen points were not enough in the third set, as Woody and Wilson took set number three 17-15.
Tusculum (7-10) took the number three pairing in straight sets 21-16 and 21-11.
Sydney Schoen and Katelynn Caserma-Kloeble fell behind in pairing number two losing the first set 21-18. Schoen and Caserma-Kloeble did quick work in set number two winning 21-13 over Skyellar Hall and Gabby Gray. In set number three the pair won 15-11 to clinch the first win in the program’s history.
In match two the Eagles defeated the Colonels, 4-1.
Carson-Newman (2-14) fell behind early after Hankinson and Logan took the number five pairing in straight sets, 21-18 and 21-11. The Eagles wasted no time after that taking the next four pairings in straight sets to with the match 4-1. Dena Tekavec and Jovana Bulatovic lost both sets by a score of 21-17 at No. 1.
Eastern will return to the sand Tuesday, when the team travels to take on in-state rival Morehead State for a dual match. The first match will start at 3:30 p.m.
Eastern Kentucky University 3, Tusculum 2
1. Melissa Mazur/Haley Davis (TU) def. Dena Tekavec/Jovana Bulatovic (EKU) 21-12, 21-11
2. Sydney Schoen/K. Caserma-Kloeble (EKU) def. Skyellar Hall/Gabby Gray (TU) 18-221, 21-13, 15-11
3. Marissa Morgan/Lana Vujosevic (TU) def. Maria Ferragonio/Kaylin Johnson (EKU) 21-16, 21-11
4. Rachel Woody/Kennedy Wilson (EKU) def. Lydia Collins/Catherine Clingan (TU) 11-21, 21-16, 17-15
5. Clairissa Hankinson/Mikayla Logan (EKU) def. Katelyn Weems/Jordan Zaleski (TU) 21-19, 21-10
Order of finish: Doubles (5,4,3,2,1);
Carson-Newman 4, Eastern Kentucky University 1
1. Summer Coulter/Abby Struewing (C-N) def. Dena Tekavec/Jovana Bulatovic (EKU) 21-17, 21-17
2. Grace Seymour/Morgan Siwiec (C-N) def. Sydney Schoen/K. Caserma-Kloeble (EKU) 21-14, 21-10
3. Aryana Fazelnia/Kelly Hughes (C-N) def. Maria Ferragonio/Kaylin Johnson (EKU) 21-12, 21-17
4. Montgomery Sauter/Lexy Headley (C-N) def. Rachel Woody/Kennedy Wilson (EKU) 21-17, 21-14
5. Clairissa Hankinson/Mikayla Logan (EKU) def. Taryn Nichols/Dilyn Palmer (C-N) 21-18, 21-11
Eastern Kentucky University 1-9
Order of finish: Doubles (5,3,4,1,2);