Dates: April 6th – 2 PM / 4 PM
Site (Venue): Clarksville, Tenn. (Cathi Maynard Park – Cheryl Holt Field)
Live Video: ESPN+
Live Stats: goracers.com/coverage
MSU Record (Streak): 14-19, 11-6 OVC (Lost 4)
Racers All-Time vs. Austin Peay: 21-10
Austin Peay Record (Streak): 16-8, 11-6 OVC (Won 6)
MSU Next Game: April 9th vs. Tennessee Tech
MSU Next Home Game: Same
Murray State softball will visit Austin Peay on Tuesday for an OVC doubleheader to wrap up its current five-game road trip. The Racers and Governors are both currently 11-6 in the OVC entering the Battle of the Border rivalry games, and are tied for third in the league. Both games will stream live on ESPN+, with live stats available on goracers.com. First pitch is set for 2:00 p.m. in Clarksville, Tennessee.
Tuesday’s doubleheader is the back half of a four-game set between the Racers and Governors this season after Murray State swept Austin Peay in a doubleheader on March 24th at Racer Field in Murray, Kentucky. The two sides have met 31 times prior to Tuesday, with the Racers holding a commanding 21-10 advantage in the all-time series. Additionally, the Racers are 9-4 against the Governors when playing on the road in Clarksville.
A Look at the Racers:
After opening the OVC campaign red hot, the Racers have stumbled a bit as of late as they enter Tuesday’s games carrying a four-game losing streak after coming up empty over the weekend on the road at Jacksonville State.
Logan Braundmeier is hitting .357 against OVC opponents this season, scoring 18 runs to accompany nine RBI and a pair of home runs in conference-only contests. Sierra Gilmore (.314, 14 RBI) and Lindsey Carroll (.314, 11 RBI) are also both hitting above .300 in OVC competition.
The Racer pitching staff has been outstanding this season, carrying a 2.33 ERA through all competitions as they feature three pitchers with ERAs under 2.50. Hannah James leads the way in the circle as the junior has posted a 2.19 ERA with 96 strikeouts through 92.2 innings in all competitions. She is also holding hitters to a .189 average at the dish. Jenna Veber (2.43 ERA, 47 K, 4 SV) and Taylor Makowsky (4-2, 2.44 ERA) round out the talented trio. Veber’s 11.75 strikeout-to-walk ratio ranks fifth in the nation.
Scouting Austin Peay:
The Governors have strung together six-straight wins since dropping the doubleheader to the Racers on March 24th, sweeping Belmont and Tennessee Tech in their most recent outings. Austin Peay, who has not lost at home in 2021, is led offensively by third baseman Lexi Osowski (.456, 3 HR, 16 RBI), who leads the OVC in batting average. Brooke Pfefferle (.444, 1 HR, 9 RBI) has also seen success at the plate as she sits right behind Osowski for second in the league in average. Additionally, Bailey Shorter (.382), Drew Dudley (.340), and Kelsey Gross (.333) are all hitting above .300.
Gross also leads the Governor pitching staff, as she is 6-1 with a 2.47 ERA and 35 strikeouts to accompany a pair of saves in 2021. The Racers could also expect to see Jordan Benefiel (5-2), who carries a 1.18 ERA with 41 strikeouts on the year.
- Jensen Striegel’s 40 career stolen bases sit fourth-most in Murray State history. She needs just one more to catch Shelbey Miller’s (2013-16) 41 for the #3 spot on the all-time list.
- The Racers are 7-0 when they score a run in the first inning
- Fifth-year senior Lexi Jones needs just one more home run to break into the top five on Murray State’s all-time home runs list. Her 24 career round-trippers currently sits one behind Casey Castile’s 25 for fifth-most in Racer history. Castile played for MSU from 2012-14.
- Sierra Gilmore’s 105 career RBIs are tied with Jenna Bradley (2010-11) for fifth-most in program history. Additionally, she needs just five more to catch Maggie Glass (2014-17) for the #4 spot on the Murray State all-time list.
- With 96 strikeouts on the year, junior Hannah James owns sole possession of the #4 spot on the program’s all-time strikeout list with 266 total in a Racer uniform. Her 22 career wins are also sixth-most in Racer history as she chases Chelsey Sullivan’s (2010-12) 27 to move into the top five.
- Murray State’s 2-1 defeat to Tennessee State in 16 innings on March 26th marked the longest game in Murray State history, and also served as the longest contest in the OVC dating back to at least 2013. The one-of-a-kind competition is also the longest game of the season in NCAA Division-I, outlasting a 15-inning contest between Wisconsin and Ohio State on March 11th. Hannah James also set a new Murray State single-game record for innings pitched as she dealt 10.1 scoreless frames, striking out seven while allowing just three hits without issuing a single walk in the outing.
- Sierra Gilmore has posted nine multi-hit games on the year to lead the Racers in that category, while Lily Fischer has produced six multi-RBI performances.
Graduate Assistant – Media Relations